BUFFALO, N.Y.— Four players scored in double-figures, including Jordan Christopher (Bronx/Mott Haven Campus) who finished with 13 points and 14 rebounds, as Buffalo State closed the contest on a 17-5 run en route to an 86-76 victory over visiting Medaille to open up the Coles Classic this evening.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 86, Medaille - 76
LOCATION: Sports Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (1-1), Medaille (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Aaron Davis (Beacon/Beacon) and Sheldon Adams (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) each scored 19 points to lead the Bengals, with Davis adding six assists and Adams tallying three blocks.
- Kay Grant (Jamaica/Thomas Jefferson) chipped in 17 points on 7 of 9 shooting to go along with eight rebounds.
- Christopher led Buffalo State in rebounding, while finishing 5 of 9 from the floor.
- Buffalo State and Medaille matched each other point-for-point in the opening minutes with neither team holding more than a four-point lead.
- The Bengals used a late 9-0 run, fueled by seven combined points by Adams and Zion Guzman Milton (Valley Stream/Valley Stream South), to take a 41-34 lead at halftime.
- The score remained close for the majority of the second half, as each team shooting nearly 50 percent from the floor.
- After the Mavericks connected on a jumper with 4:28 left in the contest, Buffalo State scored 17 of the next 22 points, including 11 points from Davis, to claim a spot in the Coles Classic Championship.
- The Bengals held a 34-32 advantage in points in the paint to go along with a 19-16 edge in points off of turnovers.
- Buffalo State held the Mavericks to only 38.8 percent shooting, while connecting on 42.9 percent of its shots.
FOR THE FOES
- Kirk Hawkins led Medaille with 29 points and six assists.
- Rodney Graves added 13 points and 11 rebounds.
THE EARTLY GAME
- Washington & Jefferson held on for a 63-59 victory over Morrisville State in today's opening game.
Buffalo State will host Washington & Jefferson in the Coles Classic Championship tomorrow at 4 p.m.