BUFFALO, N.Y.--Dom Grayer (Brooklyn/Bishop Loughlin) scored a career-high 41 points to lift Buffalo State to a 95-92 victory in today's season finale over visiting Fredonia, earning another point for the Bengals in the "Battle by the Lake" competition.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 95, Fredonia - 92
LOCATION: Sports Arena - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (8-16/6-12), Fredonia (2-23/1-17)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Grayer hit 7 of 15 3-pointers and shot 12 of 24 from the field. He also grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
- Kay Grant (Jamaica/Thomas Jefferson) netted 17 points to go with seven rebounds.
- Kareem Holmes (New York/The Knox School) added 16 points, and Sheldon Adams (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) had 13 points and six assists.
- Fredonia led by as many as 11 in the first half, but the Bengals used a 13-2 run to close the gap and led 40-38 at halftime.
- The teams traded the lead early in the second half before Fredonia pushed its advantage to as many as eight and still led 79-72 with just over five minutes remaining.
- Buffalo State responded with a 12-2 run to lead by three with three minutes remaining, but the Blue Devils continued to hang around took an 89-88 lead with 56 seconds left.
- Grayer hit his seventh 3-pointer on the ensuing possession and the Bengals were finally able to hold the lead.
- Grayer added two more free throws before the Bengals conceded a layup with 13 seconds left.
- Two more free throws by Grant set up an off-balance 3-point try at the buzzer that was off the mark.
- Buffalo State was 10 of 28 from beyond the arc, and Fredonia finished 17 of 34.
- The Bengals also outscored Fredonia 29-9 at the free throw line.
FOR THE FOES
- Mark Morgan led Fredonia with 23 points.
- De'Quan Smith added 17 points, and Bediako Nyasa had 14 points and 10 assists.
- Matt Perez chipped in 15 points.
FOR THE FOES
- The win gives Buffalo State a 9-8 lead in the season-long all sports "Battle by the Lake" rivalry competition.