YORK, PA – York College senior guard Jason Bady made a historic night more memorable as he hit a free throw with 1.4 seconds left to lift the Spartans to a an 83-82 Capital Athletic Conference win over Salisbury University on Wednesday night in York. In addition to winning the game for the Green and White, Bady became the 25th Spartan in school history to reach 1,000 points while he also matched his career-high with 35 points.
Final Score: York (Pa.) 83, Salisbury 82
Records: York 16-6 (9-2 CAC), Salisbury 16-6 (6-5 CAC)
Field Goals: York 26-for-66, Salisbury 30-for-65
Field Goal %: York 39.4%, Salisbury 46.2%
Three Point FG: York 11-for-32, Salisbury 7-for-25
Three Point FG %: York 34.4%, Salisbury 28.0%
Free Throws: York 20-for-22, Salisbury 15-for-19
Free Throw %: York 90.9%, Salisbury 78.9%
Rebounds: York 39, Salisbury 40
Assists: York 15, Salisbury 10
Turnovers: York 12, Salisbury 13
Blocked Shots: York 2, Salisbury 4
Steals: York 9, Salisbury 7
How It Happened
• Salisbury got off to a strong start to quiet the Spartan crowd early. The Sea Gulls raced out to 12-5 lead just over four minutes into the game. With the Spartans trailing 18-10, the Green and White put together a 16-2 run that gave York a 26-20 lead with 9:43 left in the half. The run was highlighted by a trio of triples from forward Zach Novick. That would be the Spartans' biggest lead of the first half.
• The Sea Gulls recaptured the lead at 32-31 with 7:20 left. The game would ping pong back and forth with the remainder of the half featuring three ties and five lead changes. York had a 46-42 lead with possession with 24 seconds left. York missed a three pointer and Salisbury Mike Ward collected the rebound with five seconds left. He drove the floor and drained a three at the horn to cut York's lead to 46-45 at the break.
• Salisbury got a Gary Briddell bucket to start the second half but York answered with an 11-0 run to surge to a 10 point lead less than three minutes into the second half. The Sea Gulls answered with a 12-2 run of their own, tying the game at 59 with 12:02 left in regulation.
• With Salisbury leading 62-61, the Spartans hit the Sea Gulls with a 14-0 run capped with a Jason Bady ankle-breaking, step-back three pointer with 8:54 left. The run included Bady's 999th and 1,000th points on a lay-up with 11:48 remaining on the clock.
• The Spartan lead was 11 (80-69) with 4:20 left in regulation. Unfortunately for York, they stopped scoring as they went on a nearly three-minute scoring drought. While York was struggling to score, the Sea Gulls went on a 10-0 run capped by a James Foley three with 1:43 left. Joey Polczynski hit a pair of free throws with 1:29 to push the York lead back to three. The Spartans got a stop but failed to convert with two cracks on the offensive end, setting the stage for the dramatic finish. Salisbury called timeout with 18 seconds left and got a great look for Mike Ward who converted the three, tying the game for the sixth and final time, with 9.1 seconds left. The Spartans inbounded the ball to Bady who brought the ball over the timeline and began to drive. He was clearly fouled by Blair Davis with 1.4 seconds left as he was going to the basket. Bady made the first one to give York the one-point lead. After a timeout, Bady missed the second free throw intentionally and the Sea Gulls would be unable to get a shot off with just 1.4 second remaining as York captured the season sweep of the Gulls.
Jason Bady: 35 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 blocked shot, 10-for-11 FT
Zach Novick: 15 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist
Mike Frauenheim: 12 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal
Jared Wagner: 7 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 6 steals
Sea Gull Leaders
Blair Davis: 23 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 8-for-10 FT
Mike Ward: 12 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot
Johnny Fierstein: 11 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Gary Briddell: 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot
James Foley: 10 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals
The Spartans swept the regular season series with the Sea Gulls as York now trails in the all-time series 41-40 … York has won four their last five against Salisbury … York improves to 10-1 overall at home and 6-0 in the CAC at Charles Wolf Gymnasium … senior Jason Bady became the 25th Spartan to join the ranks of 1,000 point scorers at York College … Bady is the fourth Spartan to reach 1,000 career points under the guidance of head coach Matt Hunter … Bady is the fourth player to reach the milestone in the last three seasons … Bady has been spectacular in two games against Salisbury as he had matching 35 point games against the Gulls … Bady is a combined 23-for-33 from the floor, 2-for-5 from three, and 22-for-24 from the free throw line for 70 points while he also has 17 rebounds, four blocked shots and three steals in 77 minutes of action … Bady became part of history in another way on Wednesday as senior women's forward Katie McGowan also reached 1,000 points for her career and that's the first time in the history of the men's and women's programs that two players reached 1,000 career points on the same night … junior Zach Novick tied a career-high with 15 points as he drained five threes in the win … junior Jared Wagner tied his career-high with six steals, a mark he set in the Spartans' last home game against PSU Harrisburg … Wagner now sits all alone in second place in career steals with 193 as he passed former Spartan guard Jason Saurbaugh … Wagner trails program leader Jeff Landis by 50 steals … York made 11 three pointers and that's the 13th time this year they have made double figures in a game … the Spartans made a season-high 90.9% from the line (20-for-22) with the final attempt being an intentional miss by Bady … York had a plus assist to turnover ratio (15-to-12) for the 12th time this year.
The Spartans head back out on the road Saturday when they head to St. Mary's College for a Capital Athletic Conference contest. Tip time at the ARC Arena is set for 4:00 pm.