LYNCHBURG, Va. - Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) tallied 19 points to lead the 12th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team over No. 14 Lynchburg 70-64 Saturday evening at Turner Gymnasium.
Score: Randolph-Macon 70, Lynchburg 64
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./Turner Gymnasium
Records: R-MC 18-2, 10-1 ODAC; LYN 17-3, 8-3 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Hornets jumped out to a quick 5-2 lead before a pair of buckets by senior Jon Nowell (Riverdale, Ga./Blair Academy) highlighted a 9-0 run as the Yellow Jackets took an 11-5 lead five minutes into the contest. After a field goal by LYN, a layup by senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) capped a 6-0 spurt as the advantage grew to 10 at 17-7 with 9:45 left in the first period. The Hornets cut the deficit in half at 21-16 before a long jumper by junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) ended a 5-1 run as the lead ballooned to nine at 26-17 with 4:15 remaining. A 14-6 spurt by the Hornets made it a one-run contest before Anthony hit the final shot of the first half as R-MC led 34-31 at halftime. Anthony led the Yellow Jackets with 10 points in the first half, while Nowell added eight.
- A three-pointer by Bays and a free throw by senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) pushed the lead to seven at 38-31 two minutes into the second half. The Hornets trailed by five before five points by sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) and a trey by senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) made up an 8-2 spurt as R-MC led 50-39 with 13:10 remaining. LYN cut it to three at 52-49 before a three-pointer by Midulla and a short jumper by Anthony gave the visitors a 57-49 edge with 9:20 left. With the Yellow Jackets holding a five-point lead, Nowell hit a free throw and Midulla made a layup with the shot clock running down to give R-MC a 62-54 advantage with 4:10 remaining. After a layup by the Hornets, a three-pointer by Anthony made it 65-56 with 2:10 left. Five straight points by LYN made it 65-61 before a three-point play by Nowell and a free throw by Midulla extended the lead to eight at 69-61 with 34 seconds remaining. The Hornets hit a trey to cut it to five and they grabbed a rebound on a missed free throw. Nowell blocked a layup attempt, picked up the rebounds and was fouled. He hit one free throw to make the final 70-64.
By The Numbers
- Anthony went 9 for 14 from the floor, including 8 for 9 inside the arc.
- R-MC had three players score in double figures. Along with the 19 by Anthony, Nowell added 13 and Midulla added 12.
- Bays led the Yellow Jackets with six rebounds.
- R-MC maintains sole possession of first place in the ODAC with a 10-1 conference mark. Guilford is second at 9-2, followed by Lynchburg at 8-3.
- The Yellow Jackets earned their second road win against a ranked team. R-MC won at No. 18 Emory 94-74 on Nov. 25.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Shenandoah on Wednesday, January 30 for a 7 p.m. ODAC contest.