PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. – Sheldon Adams (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) tallied 23 points on a game-high five 3-pointers, but it was not enough as nationally No. 17-ranked Plattsburgh erased a second-half deficit and scored the game-winning layup with five seconds remaining in an 85-83 victory over visiting Buffalo State in SUNYAC action this evening.
FINAL SCORE: No. 17 Plattsburgh – 85, Buffalo State – 83
LOCATION: Memorial Hall – Plattsburgh, N.Y.
RECORDS: No. 17 Plattsburgh (12-2, 6-1 SUNYAC), Buffalo State (3-9, 1-5 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Adams finished 5 of 14 from the 3-point line while adding three rebounds and three steals.
- Dom Grayer (Brooklyn/Bishop Loughlin) chipped in 14 points and four rebounds.
- Kay Grant (Jamaica/Thomas Jefferson) and Delen Ramovic (Brooklyn/Midwood) each finished with 10 points and seven rebounds.
- Plattsburgh raced out to an early 15-4 run but could not sustain the momentum as Buffalo State chipped away at the lead until a 3-pointer from Grayer gave the Bengals a 27-25 lead with six minutes left in the first half.
- Both teams traded points for the remainder of the first half until a late 3-pointer from Adams pushed the lead to 41-36 with 12 second left. The Cardinals tacked on a buzzer-beating layup to trim the lead to 41-38 at halftime.
- Buffalo State pushed its lead back up to 61-53 with 11:33 left in the contest on a fast break 3-pointer by Adams set up by a Plattsburgh turnover.
- The Cardinals responded with a 21-7 run over the next seven minutes to retake the lead and then extend it to 74-68 with 4:27 to play.
- The Bengals once again chipped away at the deficit point-by-point until a layup from Grant tied the game at 83-83 with 15 seconds left to play.
- Plattsburgh converted the game-winning layup with five second remaining to complete the win.
- Buffalo State outscored the Cardinals 30-8 in bench production but could not overcome a 57-44 disadvantage in rebounding which led to a 25-17 advantage in second chance points for Plattsburgh.
FOR THE FOES
- Chris Middleton led the Cardinals with 23 points, while four players tallied double-doubles for Plattsburgh
Buffalo State will return to the Sports Arena next Friday as it hosts Oneonta at 7:30 p.m.