BUFFALO, N.Y.— Dom Grayer (Brooklyn/Bishop Loughlin) scored 33 points on 9 of 16 shooting from the 3-point line but it was not enough as Brockport finished with 52 second-half points to escape with an 88-85 victory in the SUNYAC contest this evening in the Sports Arena.
FINAL SCORE: Brockport – 88, Buffalo State – 85
LOCATION: Sports Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Brockport (8-4, 4-1 SUNYAC), Buffalo State (3-7, 1-3 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Grayer finished 12 of 20 from the field in 32 minutes of action.
- Sheldon Adams (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) added 15 points, two steals, two rebounds and two blocks.
- Ryniek Holloway (Corona/Bayside) chipped in 11 points and three assists off the bench.
- Kay Grant (Jamaica/Thomas Jefferson) finished with seven points, six rebounds and three assists, while Jordan Christopher (Bronx/Mott Haven Campus) tallied seven points, six rebounds and five steals.
- Buffalo State raced out to an early 13-4 lead built off the strength of four 3-pointers combined from Adams and Grayer.
- The Bengals pushed the lead to 36-22 with 4:45 left in the stanza, but the Golden Eagles closed the first half on a 14-4 run to trim the deficit to 40-36 at halftime.
- Brockport continued the momentum into the second frame to claim their first lead, 44-41, just two minutes into the half.
- The Golden Eagles extended their lead to 66-55 on a 15-4 run in a five minutes stretch at the midway point of the second half.
- After Buffalo State found themselves down 82-70 with 3:51 left, the Bengals responded with a 13-2 run, fueled by eight points from Grayer and five points from Holloway, to cut the lead to 84-83.
- Back-to-Back layup by each team and two free throws by the Golden Eagles with four second left, gave Buffalo State one final look at a chance to tie the game. Grayer's 3-pointer rimmed out as Brockport escaped with the win.
- The Bengals held a 16-10 points advantage in fast break points, while Brockport outscored Buffalo State 31-19 in bench production.
FOR THE FOES
- Antonio Alvarez paced the Golden Eagles' offense with 21 points on 5 of 8 shooting from the 3-point line.
- Chris Atkinson chipped in 20 points, while Jahidi Wallace added 17 points and 8 rebounds off of the bench.
Buffalo State returns to the court on Friday at 7:30 p.m. as it travels to Potsdam for a SUNYAC showdown.