UNION, N.J. – Sophomore guard Domenic Mignone(Rutherford, N.J./Rutherford) posted his ninth double-digit scoring output of the season and Saint Simeon Beaubrun(Irvington, N.J./Columbia) registered his first career double-double as the William Paterson men's basketball team (10-4, 5-2 NJAC) never trailed in its 75-61 conference road win at Kean (2-12, 0-7 NJAC) Jan. 5.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Deadlocked at 14-14 with 9:30 to play in the opening frame, freshman Jared Bennett's (Winslow Twp., N.J./Winslow Twp.) three-pointer capped off a 7-0 run that gave the visitors the lead. The Cougars would twice cut the deficit to one, but treys by Anthony Uribe (Hackensack, N.J./Bergen Catholic) and Myles McLeod (Teaneck, N.J./Teaneck) helped the Pioneers head into the break up nine, 37-28.
- Following intermission, Mignone scored eight points in the first four minutes as WP used a 16-4 burst to increase its lead to 21 (53-32) at the 15:10 mark. Kean was unable to come within 14 points for the remainder of the game as the Pioneers cruised to the 75-61 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mignone scored 15 of his team-high 17 points in the second half and McLeod added 16 tallies and six rebounds. Beaubrun pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds to go along with 10 points, while Bennett connected on all three of his attempts from the field to tie his personal-best with eight tallies.
- William Paterson outrebounded Kean by a 36-26 margin including 13-3 on the offensive glass, resulting in a 15-0 advantage in second chance points.
- Uribe and Justin Lingat (Toms River, N.J./Toms River East) shared top honors with five assists each and Hershell Williams (Philadelphia, Pa./Timber Creek) collected four steals.
- The Pioneers return home to play host to The College of New Jersey Lions on Wednesday, Jan. 9, at 8:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: