WAYNE, N.J. – Junior forward Myles McLeod (Teaneck, N.J./Teaneck) posted a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds and classmate Sean Smith (Moraga, Calif./Campolindo) poured in a season-high 35 points as the William Paterson men's basketball team (7-3, 4-1 NJAC) won its fifth-straight game, an 80-71 triumph over Stockton (4-3, 3-2 NJAC) Dec. 8.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- WP raced out to a fast 7-0 lead, highlighted by Domenic Mignone's (Rutherford, N.J./Rutherford)three-point play in the game's opening minute. Stockton followed with its own 11-2 burst to regain the lead, 11-9. Smith's sharp-shooting would take over for the remainder of the opening half, as the Moraga, Calif. native would score 18 points in the opening stanza to pace the Pioneers to a 37-30 advantage at the break.
- A fast-break dunk from Stockton's Brandon Hamilton made it a two-point game (39-37) at the 16:35 mark, but WP pushed it back to seven (43-37) curtesy of an Anthony Uribe (Hackensack, N.J./Bergen Catholic) three-pointer and would lead by as many as 14 (63-49) with just under 10 minutes to play. Stockton would cut the deficit to single –digits late, however, William Paterson would seal the game at the charity stripe, draining seven-straight free throws to close out the contest.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- WP held a 44-31 advantage in rebounding, led by McLeod's game-high 10. Uribe, who got into early foul trouble in the opening half, regrouped nicely to lead all players with four assists and three steals.
- Smith's 35 points included 5-of-9 (.555) shooting from deep and a near-perfect 14-of-15 (.933) from the free throw line.
- As a team, the Pioneers shot a season-high 81.5% (22-27) from the free throw line.
- William Paterson has not started a season 4-0 at home since the 2014-15 campaign.
- WP hosts the Profs of Rowan University on Wednesday, Dec. 12, at 8:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: