LEICESTER, Mass. – The Brandeis University men's basketball team never trailed tonight, hitting 12 3-pointers, as the Judges defeated host Becker College, 74-52, in non-conference action. With the win, the Judges improve to 6-1 for the first time since the 2012-13 season. The Hawks fall to 2-6 with the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Collin Sawyer (New London, Conn./New London)opened the game with a 3-pointer and Brandeis never looked back.
- Sawyer hit his next two trifectas, and classmate Eric D'Aguanno (Saunderstown, R.I./St. James School)connected twice in a row to give Brandeis a 19-8 lead eight minutes into the game.
- The duo would combine to go 7-for-9 from beyond the arc in the first half to stake Brandeis to a 74-52 lead.
- Brandeis would take its first 20-point lead early in the second half on a jumper by grad student Latye Workman(Brooklyn, N.Y./Bedford Academy) that made it 46-25 and the Judges were never challenged again.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Sawyer and D'Aguanno combined for 32 of the team's 74 points, hitting 10-of-13 from beyond the arc.
- Sawyer finished with 18 points for the second time in three games, hitting 6-of-7 from downtown.
- D'Aguanno netted 14 points and hit 4-of-6 from long distance.
- Sophomore Chandler Jones (Springfield, Mass./Springfield Commonwealth Academy) netted 15 points on 6-of-13 from the field and 3-of-5 from the line. He also had five rebounds and tied for a game-high with five assists.
- Workman finished just short of a double-double with nine points and a game-high nine rebounds, matching Jones with five helpers.
- The Judges held Becker to just 37.5% from the field (21-56) and 16.7% from 3-point range (2-12), while hitting 47.5% (28-59) and 46.2% (12-26), respectively.
- Brandeis also owned the boards, 38-28, including 13-9 on the offensive glass.
- Becker was led by Dewayne Thomas, who had 16 points, and Kareem Davis, who had 13.
- Mateus Ribiero led the Hawks with five rebounds.
- Brandeis plays host to Wesleyan University on Saturday at 1 p.m. in their final home game of the semester.
- Becker takes on Worcester State next Tuesday at 6 p.m.