FREDONIA, N.Y.— Kay Grant (Jamaica/Thomas Jefferson) tallied 13 points and five rebounds while Sheldon Adams (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) finished with 12 points on 4 of 8 shooting from 3-point range as Buffalo State scored 57 first-half points en route to a 88-78 victory over rival Fredonia to open SUNYAC play this afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 88, Fredonia – 78
LOCATION: Dods Hall – Fredonia, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (2-2, 1-0 SUNYAC), Fredonia (0-4, 0-1 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Grant shot 6 of 11 from the field to lead the Bengals in scoring, while Adams added two rebounds and an assist.
- Ryniek Holloway (Corona/Bayside) and Kemron Frederick (Elmsford/Alexander Hamilton) each chipped in nine points, with Holloway adding three assists.
- Dom Grayer (Brooklyn/Bishop Loughlin) chipped in eight points and Delen Ramovic (Brooklyn/Midwood) tallied 10 points and three rebounds off of the bench.
- After Fredonia tied the game at 2-2 just under a minute into the contest, Buffalo State scored 38 of the next 54 points to take a 43-18 off a 3-pointer from Frederick.
- The Blue Devils trimmed the lead back to 53-36 with just under a minute left in the first half, but the Bengals ended the stanza with a pair of free throws from Kareem Holmes (New York/The Knox School) and Von Daniel (Brooklyn/Uncommon Charter) to take a 57-36 lead at the intermission.
- Buffalo State's lead increased to 25 points twice in the second half, but Fredonia held the Bengals to 38 percent shooting in the second stanza and limited Buffalo State to three points in the in final six minutes as the lead shrunk to 87-76.
- The Bengals tallied a final free throw from Yosh Bernardez (Bronx/Wings Academy) to claim the victory.
- Buffalo State held Fredonia to 45 percent shooting for the game while connecting on 46 percent of its 3-point chances.
- The Blue Devils finished with advantages in bench points, 51-44, and fast break points, 12-8.
FOR THE FOES
- Matt Perez led Fredonia in scoring with 11 points and three rebounds off of the bench.
- Chad Biersbach chipped in 10 points while Isaiah Ice added nine points and three rebounds.
- With the victory, Buffalo State earns a point in the season-long "Battle by the Lake" competition between the two schools. Fredonia currently holds a 7-5 lead.
Buffalo State host Oswego in another SUNYAC contest next Friday at 7:30 p.m.