• Score: Johns Hopkins-82, Washington College-64
• Records: JHU (6-2, 3-0 CC) • WC (3-5, 0-3 CC)
• Location: Chestertown, MD • Cain Athletic Center
• The Short Story: A hot-shooting performance led the Johns Hopkins men's basketball team to an 82-64 win at Washington College on Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened
• The Blue Jays never trailed in this one as sophomore Conner Delaney drained a three-pointer just 24 seconds into the game. The teams swapped baskets over the opening 96 seconds and it was 5-4 Hopkins. Delaney scored on a bucket in the paint at the 18:02-mark to kick-start a 16-5 run as JHU raced out to a 12-point lead. Sophomore Joey Kern capped the run with a three-pointer to put Hopkins up 21-9 with 12:09 to go in the half.
• The Shoremen got within eight twice over the ensuing six minutes, but the Blue Jays answered each time. Leading 34-26, freshman Braeden Johnson answered an Austin Allen layup with a four-point play to push the lead back to 12 at 4:42. Senior Michael Gardner followed with a three-pointer of his own, just 29 seconds later, to push the Blue Jays' lead to 15. The Blue Jays maintained that double-digit lead and went into the half leading 47-33.
• Hopkins picked up where it left off and quickly pushed its lead to 20 by the 16:32-mark of the second. The lead see-sawed up and down as the teams traded blows. Trailing by 18 with 10:41 to play, Daniel Brown drained a jumper to spark a 6-0 Shoremen spurt as they trimmed the deficit to 12 just 90 seconds later.
• Senior Daniel Vila ended the run with a pair of free throws and the Blue Jays were off on a 12-4 run. Johnson put the punctuation on the run with a triple from the wing to stake Hopkins to a 79-59 lead with 3:48 to go. That would do it as Washington College could get no closer than 18 for the remainder of the game.
What it Means
• Hopkins improves to 80-61 all-time against Washington College and has won six straight and 12 of the last 13 meetings.
• The win is the 30th at JHU for head coach Josh Loeffler, who is now 76-20 overall in his four seasons as a head coach.
• At 3-0, the Blue Jays are the lone undefeated team in the Centennial Conference. Hopkins has now won four straight.
Inside the Box Score
• Kern and Vila led the Blue Jays with 14 points apiece, while Johnson added 13, going 4-of-4 from downtown. Delaney and Gardner chipped in 10 points apiece and Delaney handed out a game-high eight assists.
• Senior Noah Ralby finished with a career-best six assists as the Blue Jays had 25 assists on 30 field goals.
• Hopkins shot a season-best 65.2 percent for the game from the field. That's the highest field goal percentage for JHU since November 19, 2017 at Rhodes. It is also the sixth best single-game field goal percentage in program history.
• Josh Porteous led the Shoremen with 14 points while Dallas Marshall scored 13. Alec Lewis chipped in 10 points.
• Hopkins is back on the road on Wednesday as the Blue Jays travel to the Battlefield to take on the Gettysburg Bullets. The Centennial Conference contest is slated for a 7:00 pm start at Bream Gym.