BUFFALO, N.Y.— Yosh Bernardez (Bronx/Wings Academy) went 4 of 4 from the charity stripe and scored a breakaway layup in the final minute as Buffalo State claimed a 98-92 victory over visiting Alfred State in non-conference action.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 98, Alfred State – 93
LOCATION: Sports Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (2-2), Alfred State (3-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sheldon Adams (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) led the Bengals in scoring with 22 points on 5 of 8 shooting from the 3-point line.
- Dom Grayer (Brooklyn/Bishop Loughlin) added 15 points on 4 of 9 shooting from long range.
- Bernardez finished with 10 points while Jordan Christopher (Bronx/Mott Haven Campus) chipped in nine points and 10 rebounds.
- Kay Grant (Jamaica/Thomas Jefferson) tallied 10 rebounds while Zak Ciezki (Cheektowaga/Cheektowaga) added 13 points off of the bench.
- Buffalo State stormed out of the gates by scoring the first nine points of the contest and used a 3-pointer by Ryniek Holloway (Corona/Bayside) to take a 31-19 lead at the midway point of the first half.
- Alfred trimmed the lead back to three but conceded back-to-back layups by Delen Ramovic (Brooklyn/Midwood) as the Bengals took a 48-40 lead at halftime.
- Buffalo State stormed out of the gates in the second half as well, scoring 14 of the first 16 points to take a 62-42 lead which was its largest of the contest.
- The Pioneers slowly chipped away at the lead until a pair of free throws cut the lead to 92-90 with just over a minute remaining.
- Bernardez tallied a pair of free throws on the ensuing possession, then stole the ball and was fouled a second time on the next possession. After knocking down the second pair of free throws the lead was extended to 96-90.
- Buffalo State sealed the win when Ciezki threw a full court pass to a wide open Bernardez who scored the breakway layup to give the Bengals the victory.
- The Bengals shot 51 percent from the floor and 43 percent from 3-point range during the contest.
- Alfred held a 48-30 advantage in the paint but could not overcome a 25-12 disadvantage in points off turnovers.
FOR THE FOES
- Tahaij Lewis led the Pioneers with 21 points, 19 rebounds and three blocks
- Juwan Toliver chipped in 17 points while Owen Spencer added 15 points on 5 of 6 shooting from the 3-point line.
Buffalo State will open SUNYAC play as it travels to Fredonia for a "Battle by the Lake" showdown this Saturday at 4 p.m.