Men's basketball falls in overtime to George Fox at Bruin Classic

More news about: St. Olaf

NEWBERG, Ore. – The No. 23 St. Olaf College men's basketball team fell, 91-88, in overtime against George Fox in a non-conference contest Saturday evening at Wheeler Sports Center to conclude its play at the Bruin Classic.

After St. Olaf (0-4) led for 18:32 in the second half, George Fox (2-0) took the lead, 78-77, with 1:15 remaining in regulation, but a free throw from senior Frank Delaney evened the score and sent the game into overtime. A three-pointer from Ryan Lacy gave the Bruins an 84-82 lead with 2:57 remaining in overtime as the Bruins held on for the remainder of the game.

A basket from Lacy extended the Bruin's overtime lead to four, but St. Olaf answered with a pair of free throws from senior Austin Korba and a jumper from junior Troy Diggins Jr. to even the score at 86-86, but George Fox sank a jumper and three free throws to keep the Bruins on top. 

Korba tied a career-high 24 points, seven rebounds, five assists, three steals and a block, while Diggins posted a double-double with a career-high 20 points, 11 rebounds, three assists and a steal.  Sophomore Dominic Bledsoe contributed 18 points, four rebounds, four assists and three steals. Delaney shot 5-of-7 from the floor and finished with 14 points, three blocks and three rebounds.

St. Olaf scored the first four points of the game after scoring back-to-back jumpers from Bledsoe and junior Noah Beck in the first minute of play.  The Oles extended the lead to six after Frank Delaney laid in a basket with 14:16 remaining in the half.

The Bruins answered with a 17-7 run and gained the lead at 21-19 after a pair of free throws from Kevin Dent and 10:03 left in the half. The Bruins took their largest lead of the half, 35-28, but the Oles responded with back-to-back three-pointers from Korba to regain the lead at 3:15.

George Fox led, 41-39, at the end of the first half, but St. Olaf went on a 13-4 run in the first 3:43 of the second half to take the lead and extended it to a 13-point lead after a three-pointer from Korba and 12:19 remaining in the contest.

At 16:31, the Bruins climbed within four after a pair of three throws. St. Olaf scored the next nine points and extended the lead to 63-50 after Korba sank a three-pointer. 

The Bruins went on a 10-5 run, inching within eight, but a jumper from junior Travis Fauchald made the lead 70-60 in favor of the Oles with 8:15 remaining in the contest. Four minutes later the Bruins came within three, but Diggins finished a layup to make the St. Olaf lead five with 3:49 remaining in the second half.

George Fox ended the second half on a 10-4 run as Ryan sank a pair of free throws that would give the Bruins the lead until an Ole free throw evened the score.  The Bruins had possession of the ball for the last play of regulation, but Delaney blocked a Bruin's shot to keep the score tied.

The Bruins sank 21-25 free throws compared to 18-30 from the Oles.  St. Olaf shot 50 percent from the floor while George Fox shot 40.8 percent, and the Bruins grabbed 47 rebounds compared to 38 from the Oles. 

St. Olaf is back to action Saturday, Nov. 24 in a non-conference contest against Bethany Lutheran in Mankato, Minn. beginning at 2 p.m.