No. 2 Warhawks Defeat UW-La Crosse in Overtime

More news about: UW-Whitewater

The No. 2 ranked UW-Whitewater men's basketball team took down UW-La Crosse, 67-64, in a Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference thriller Saturday afternoon.


UW-Whitewater and UW-La Crosse (10-7 overall, 2-4 WIAC) recorded 27 lead changes in the contest and tied at the end of regulation to send the game to overtime.  The Warhawks outscored the Eagles 11-8 in overtime to get the victory.


Junior guard Andre Brown lead the Warhawks with 18 points, including a pair of free throws to tie the game in the waning moments of regulation and four in the overtime period.  Junior Derek Rongstad recorded a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds.  Junior guard David Sachs and junior guard Dalton Menke tallied 11 points each.


UW-Whitewater (14-3 overall, 4-2 WIAC) and UW-La Crosse traded baskets throughout the first half.  Menke sank a 3-pointer with 11:54 remaining in the half to give the Warhawks a 10-6 lead.


Brown extended the Warhawks' lead to five with a steal and the basket with eight minutes remaining in the half.  With just under one minute remaining in the period, UW-La Crosse took the lead at 20-19.


The Warhawks and the Eagles continued to trade baskets throughout the second half.  Sachs found Menke behind the arc and Menke drained the 3-pointer with 12:02 remaining in regulation to give the Warhawks a six-point lead.


UW-La Crosse took the lead 46-45 with just under six minutes remaining in the half, but Brown responded with a jumper for the Warhawks to gain the lead back, 47-46.


UW-Whitewater was down four with 19 seconds remaining in regulation.  Rongstad drained a 3-pointer to help the Warhawks trail by just one.


With three seconds remaining in play and down two, UW-Whitewater took a timeout with possession of the ball.  Brown took it to the basket and earned a trip to the line.  Brown made both attempts to tie the game and send it into overtime.


The Warhawks and the Eagles continued to go back and forth in overtime.  With 1:19 remaining in overtime, Sachs earned a trip to the line and tied the game 62-62.


Brown hit a jumper in the next possession of play and followed with two free-throws on the following possession to give the Warhawks a 66-62 lead.


UW-Whitewater held off UW-La Crosse in the last 17 seconds of overtime to defeat the Eagles.


The Warhawks shot 6-of-8 from the free-throw line in overtime and 17-of-23 in the game to help secure the victory.


UW-Whitewater will continue play Wednesday, Jan. 24, against UW-Platteville at 7 p.m. in Kachel Gymnasium.