BEVERLY, Mass. — The Endicott men's basketball team came out firing for a pivotal 101 to 71 Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) victory over Roger Williams University on Saturday afternoon inside MacDonald Gymnasium.
The Hawks managed a nine-point edge with 15:08 remaining in the first half before Endicott took its first lead of the game, 31-30, with 5:25 to play on sophomore forward Vinny Clifford's (Danvers, Mass.) third of four three-pointers on the day for the major turning point and never looked back.
A 43-35 lead at the break turned into a second half clinic from downtown as the Gulls set a new single-game program record with 20 made three pointers, including 11 from long distance in the frame.
At halftime, the Special Olympics group from Lynn, Mass. played a basketball game as part of the "Be My Valentine" Special Olympics Showcase put on by senior guard Stephen Basden (Lynn, Mass.) and his teammates.
The Gulls exploded for 58 points in the second half — their largest total in a half this season — to lead by as much as 33 with 41 seconds left in the game. Freshman guard Keith Brown (Pelham, N.H.) poured in a career-best 21 points to lead the floor.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott's 101 points is the most the team has scored all season.
- The Gulls' 20-of-37 shooting from beyond the arc surpassed the team's previous record of 17 that they tied earlier this season against Curry on Nov. 30, 2016.
- Endicott is 27-8 and 18-4 at home against Roger Williams in the all-time series.
- Roger Williams won the most recent meeting before today, 73-66, earlier this season on 01/17/17 to snap a five-game skid in head-to-head matchups against the Gulls, but Endicott evened things up today for the regular-season split.
- Senior guard Kamahl Walker (Worcester, Mass.) chipped in 20 points, followed by 14 from senior guard Max Motroni (West Warwick, R.I.), 12 from Clifford, and 10 from senior forward Chris Lipscomb (West Springfield, Mass.) as Endicott had five Gulls in double figures.
- Senior forward Daquan Sampson (Germantown, Md.) grabbed seven rebounds which was one shy of Roger Williams' sophomore guard Austin Coene's (Tyngsborough, Mass.) eight for the most in the game.
- Walker dished out a game-best/career-high eight assists.
- Endicott out-rebounded the Hawks, 51-35.
FOR THE FOES
- Coene pulled down a game-high eight boards to go with a game-high four steals and 11 points for the Hawks.
- Roger Williams placed three student-athletes in double figures as senior captain Andrew Wasik (Gainesville, Fla.) and junior guard Nick Marini (Loudonville, N.Y.) tallied 11 and 10 points, respectively, alongside Coene.
- The Hawks had their four-game win streak snapped today.
Endicott (18-5, 13-3 CCC) has a home date with Salve Regina University on Tuesday, February 14th at 7:30 p.m as part of "Show Your LOVE" Night to promote the campus-wide "I See, I Speak, I Pledge" campaign with a Stress Ball Giveaway. Each ball will have a number assigned to it and we will draw numbers throughout the game for prizes. Don't forget to check into the GULL NATION app for 50 points!
Roger Williams (18-5, 12-4 CCC) travels to Springfield, Mass. to face the Western New England University Golden Bears on Tuesday, February 14th at 7:30 p.m.