Score: Roanoke 78, Worcester State 60
Records: Roanoke 1-0 | Worcester State 0-2
Location: Salem, Va. | Cregger Center
The Lead: John Caldwell led four Roanoke players in double-figures as the Maroons topped Worcester State 78-60 Friday night in the first round of the Dick Leftwhich Classic in Salem.
How it Happened:
- C.J. Miles joined Caldwell in double-figures with 16 points, while Joey Miller had 14 and Eli Sumpter had 10. Joe Mikalauskas came off the bench to score nine points in the win.
- RC shot 52.7% for the game, making 29-of-55 shots on the night. The Maroons connected on 10-of-24 shots from beyond the arc and dished out 13 assists in the win.
- Jamal Mustapha had 17 points in the loss for Worcester State which 42.4% from the field making 25-of-59 shots, but were just 2-of-13 from three-point land.
- With the score 15-10 Roanoke in the first-half, the Maroons went on an 8-0 run taking a 23-10 lead following a Caldwell three-pointer halfway through the half.
- A Sumpter bucket made it 34-22 with four minutes to play, but WSU would close the half on a 12-3 run with a Mustapha three-pointer at the buzzer sending the teams to the locker room with the score 37-34.
- Roanoke broke the game open by starting the second-half with an 18-4 run pushing its lead to 55-38 on a Sumpter three-pointer with just under 14 minutes to play.
- The Lancers chipped away and cut the Maroons advantage to 65-54 with five minutese to pay but RC scored 10 of the next 14 points to seal the win.
Up Next: Roanoke will face the winner of Ferrrum and the Apprentice school in the championship game at 6:00 p.m.