Score: Roanoke 102, Mount Aloysius 90
Records: Roanoke 5-1, Mount Aloysius 3-2
Location: Salem, Va. / C. Homer Bast Center
The Lead: Roanoke ran its winning streak to five games with a 102-90 victory over Mount Aloysius Sunday afternoon in the championship game of the 2015 Thanksgiving Weekend Classic in Salem.
How it Happened
- John Fitchett led RC with 21 points on his way to earning the tournament's most outstanding player honor. Fellow all-tournament team member Cameron Smithscored 18 points and grabbed nine rebounds.
- Nine different Maroons scored with Joey Miller (14 pts.), Dustin Hassel (13 pts.),Bryce Woodliff (12 pts.) Seth Bradley (11 pts.) joining Fitchett and Smith in double-digits.
- Roanoke knocked down 15 three-pointers on the afternoon and made 50% of its shots total, making 39-of-77 attempts from the floor in the win. The Maroons also assisted on 24 of those 39 made field goals with Eli Sumpter dishing out a team-high six helpers.
- Dillon Bender earned all-tournament honors after scoring 25 points on 7-of-13 shooting from three-point land. Joe Dziabo scored 20 points for MAC in the loss as well.
- The score was tied at 25-25 with under nine minutes to play in the first-half. The Maroons would seize control, outscoring the Mounties 28-10 to close the half and take a 53-35 lead to the locker room.
- A Smith layup would extend the RC lead to 23 points at 61-37 early in the second-half.
- MAC was able to chip away, cutting the Maroons lead down to 11 with nine minutes to play, but that would be as close as it would get a s Smith hit back-to-back three-pointers to push RC's advantage back to 17.
Roanoke will open up ODAC play on Wednesday when it hosts Eastern Mennonite at 7:00 p.m. The game will be a "Black Out" with the Maroons wearing their alternate black uniforms and they are asking their fans to wear black in support.