Wednesday wrap: Extra extras

Brian Kelley's buzzer-beating three gave Babson extra life against No. 9 MIT on Wednesday night
File photo by Jonathan Endow Photography

Babson closed ground in the NEWMAC by beating No. 8 MIT in overtime while Muhlenberg upset No. 7 Swarthmore and No. 24 UW-River Falls edged UW-La Crosse in overtime. 

After Babson lost an overtime game at home to MIT earlier this year, the Beavers returned the favor with a dramatic 84-71 win over the Engineers in Cambridge on Wednesday night. MIT held a five-point lead with under a minute to play in regulation when Babson called timeout. Andrew Jaworski made two free throws out of the break for Babson and, after an MIT miss, Babson grabbed the rebound and called timeout again to bring reserve Brian Kelley into the game. Kelley got the ball on the ensuing play and hit a three at the buzzer to send the game to overtime. The extra period was no contest as Kelley hit two more threes and the Beavers pulled away for the win. Box score

AJ Jurko scored 24 points on 9-for-14 shooting with five 3-pointers for MIT (17-3, 7-2) before fouling out. Five starters plus Kelley scored double-figures for Babson (12-8, 7-2) led by Bradley Jacks' 24 points. The teams are tied for second, one game back of Springfield which blasted Coast Guard 95-69 behind Jake Ross triple-double (22 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists).

Muhlenberg surprised No. 7 Swarthmore in overtime 81-78 to create a two-way tie for first in the Centennial Conference. The Mules appeared to be on their way to victory in regulation when Nick Rindock hit a go-ahead three with 13 seconds left, but Cam Wiley answered with a jumper on the Garnet's final possesion. Muhlenberg shut out Swarthmore for the final 2:43 of the extra period and pulled away for the win.

Swarthore's loss is Franklin and Marshall's gain since the 23nd ranked Diplomats defeated Ursinus 80-74. Brandon Federici became Franklin and Marshall's all-time leading scorer with 14 points, but the night belonged to his teammate Matthew Tate who poured in 35 points in 32 minutes. Swarthmore and F&M are tied for first with identical 17-3, 11-2 records.

No. 24 UW-River Falls avoided falling completely out of the race in the WIAC with a 77-74 win at home against UW-La Crosse. La Crosse missed two chances to extend its small lead at the free throw line in the final minute and Clay Seifert tied the game for the Falcons with 22 seconds left in regulation. Brennan Witt scored six of his 19 points in overtime for River Falls (14-5, 5-4).

River Falls moved into a three-way tie for third in the WIAC with UW-Oshkosh and UW-Whitewater, which both lost on Wednesday night. No. 25 UW-Stevens Point pulled away from No. 12 UW-Whitewater 74-60 in the second half, sweeping the regular-season series from its rival. No. 20 UW-Platteville finished its sweep of No. 18 UW-Oshkosh by beating the Titans on the road, 68-62. Quentin Shields led the Pioneers (17-3, 7-2) with 19 points while the Titans shot 2-for-21 from three.

No. 9 Augustana defeated No. 14 Illinois Wesleyan 88-79 to earn a season split with the Titans and tighten the CCIW race. The Vikings built a double-digit lead during a foul-plagued first half and then watched Illinois Wesleyan rally within one point at 80-79 with 1:55 to play. The Titans did not score again and Augustana went 8-for-8 from the foul line down the stretch to secure the victory. Nolan Ebel and Dylan Sortillo scored 21 points apiece for Augustana (16-4, 8-3), which is now one game back of Illinois Wesleyan. The Vikings remained tied for second with North Central (Ill.), which got a near double-double from Alex Sorenson and beat Carthage 79-75.

Roanoke knocked off ODAC front-runner No. 19 Emory and Henry 76-68 and picked up what could be a critical win in that congested race. The Maroons (13-7, 6-5) are tied for sixth in the conference standings, but only two games back of third-place Guilford and now have a win over the potential first-place finishing Wasps (18-2, 10-1).

Outside the Top 25, Rose-Hulman took over first place in the HCAC with a 68-66 win over preseason favorite Hanover. Craig McGee paced the Fightin' Engineers with 21 points and six rebounds. Mount St. Joseph, which entered the night tied for first with those two teams, lost to Bluffton 66-64.

King's took care of business against Delaware Valley 80-70 and J.P. Andrejko picked up his 250th win, keeping the Monarchs in the MAC Freedom playoff hunt. King's is one game behind Eastern and Misericordia for the final playoff spot. Those two teams played Wednesday night and Eastern won, 73-69.

It was a relatively quiet night on the women's side where the Top 25 teams in action went 15-1. Mount Union scored 54 points in the second half and the Purple Raiders crushed No. 23 Marietta 82-60. The Pioneers (17-3, 10-3) have dropped two of their last three games. Moravian also had a chance to upset No. 14 Scranton when the Greyhounds jumped out to a 65-61 lead with 2:15 remaining in overtime. But the Lady Royals (19-1, 8-1) scored the next 12 points, keyed by back-to-back threes from Katie Broderick, and pulled away for the 75-70 win.