(CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.) – The top-ranked Thomas More University women's basketball team erased a double-digit halftime deficit tonight (Saturday, March 2, 2019) and defeated fifth-ranked Trine University, 67-59, in an NCAA Division III Women's Basketball Championship Second Round game at the Connor Convocation Center in Crestview Hills, Kentucky. The Saints remain undefeated at 29-0 and the Thunder end the season at 26-3.
- The Saints trailed 19-6 after one quarter and 31-20 at halftime.
- Thomas More shot 23.1 percent (six-of-26) from the field in the opening half.
- The Saints had a 10-8 advantage in the paint and 6-0 in second chance points.
- Senior forward Shelby Rupp (Milan, Ind./Batesville) led the team in the half with eight points and 11 rebounds.
- Senior guard Madison Temple (Cincinnati, Ohio/Anderson) had seven points and seven rebounds.
- Thomas More out-scored Trine 28-12 in the third quarter to lead 48-43 after three quarters and then had a 19-16 advantage in the fourth quarter to post the 67-59 victory.
- The Saints shot 58.1 percent (18-of-31) in the second half.
- Temple had 20 points in the closing half to go with two rebounds, four assists and four steals.
- Junior forward Emily Schultz (Melbourne, Ky./Bishop Brossart) had 11 points and five rebounds in the half.
- Rupp had 11 points and seven rebounds in the second half.
- The Saints shot 42.1 percent (24-of-57) from the field in the game.
- Thomas More out-scored Trine 34-20 in the paint, 22-13 off turnovers and 15-2 on second chance points.
- Temple led all scorers with 27 points, pulled down nine rebounds, dished out five assists and had four steals.
- Rupp recorded a double-double with 19 points and 18 rebounds.
- Schultz tallied 11 points.
- Thomas More advances to play 18th-ranked and in-state rival Transylvania University next Friday (March 8) in the Sectional Semifinals.
- The location of the sectionals will be released by the NCAA on Sunday (March 3) afternoon.