(CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.) – Two Saints recorded a double-double tonight (Friday, March 1, 2019) as the No. 1-ranked Thomas More University women's basketball team defeated Saint Vincent College, 79-54, in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Women's Basketball Championship at the Connor Convocation Center in Crestview Hills, Kentucky. The Saints improve to 28-0 and the Bearcats end the season at 23-5.
- The Saints led 17-14 after one quarter and 27-24 at halftime.
- Thomas More shot 44.8 percent (13-of-29) from the field in the opening half.
- The Saints had an 18-6 advantage in the paint and 4-0 on second chance points.
- Senior forward Shelby Rupp (Milan, Ind./Batesville) had six points and seven rebounds in the first half to go with two blocks.
- Junior forward Emily Schultz (Melbourne, Ky./Bishop Brossart) tallied six points and pulled down five rebounds.
- Junior guard Madison Temple (Cincinnati, Ohio/Anderson) had four points and nine rebounds.
- Senior guard Kelly Clapper (Newark, Ohio/Newark Central Catholic) scored five points.
- With the game tied 35-35 in the third quarter, the Saints close the quarter on a 17-6 run to lead 52-41 after three quarter and then out-scored the Bearcats 27-13 in the final quarter for the 79-54 victory.
- Thomas More shot 59.3 percent (19-of-32) in the second half.
- The Saints out-scored Saint Vincent 22-8 in the paint, 12-4 off turnovers and 15-2 on fast breaks in the second half.
- Rupp led the team in the second half with 12 points.
- Schultz had 10 points and six rebounds.
- Temple tallied eight points and had six rebounds in the second half.
- The Saints shot 52.5 percent (32-of-61) from the field in the game.
- Thomas More had a 40-14 advantage in the paint, 23-17 off turnovers and 19-2 on second chance points.
- Schultz recorded a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
- Temple also had a double-double with 12 points and 15 rebounds, while dishing out four assists.
- Rupp just missed a double-double with 18 points and nine rebounds to go with three blocks, three steals and two assists.
- Clapper finished with 10 points.
- Sophomore guard Briana McNutt (Maysville, Ky./Mason County) had 10 points.
- Thomas More advances to play No. 5-ranked Trine University, who was a 57-54 winner over Emory University tonight, tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. in a second round game at the Connor Convocation Center.
- Gates open at 5 p.m. on Saturday and tickets will be available at that time.