Center Valley, PA (March 1, 2019) - The #15 DeSales University women's basketball team started fast and never slowed down in a 77-49 win over Shenandoah University in the opening round of the NCAA Division III Women's Basketball Tournament on Friday evening in Billera Hall.
- Final Score: DeSales - 77, Shenandoah - 49
- Records: DeSales (26-2); Shenandoah (16-14)
- The win is DSU's 21st straight overall and also the 20th straight at home for the Bulldogs, one shy of tying the school-record of 21 straight home wins.
- DeSales is also one win shy of tying the school-record for wins in a season with 27 set during the 1989-90 season.
- The win tonight was DeSales' first in a home NCAA Tournament game after the Bulldogs had been 0-4 in its previous four appearances at home.
How it Happened
- A 10-2 run early gave DSU a 16-5 advantage 5:51 into the game and the Bulldogs closed the first quarter on an 8-0 run to take a 28-11 lead after 10 minutes of play highlighted by a pull-up 3 from freshman Averi Jordan to close out the opening stanza.
- DeSales continued that run into the second quarter scoring the first 14 points of the quarter totaling a 22-0 run and giving the Bulldogs a 42-11 cushion midway thru the second quarter and DSU went into the halftime locker room leading 44-18.
- The lead peaked at 35 points with 3:51 to go in the fourth quarter before the final margin was posted.
Top Bulldog Performers
- Senior Morgan Birmelin paced the Bullogs once again with a game-high 21 points and five assists. She broke the single-season record for assists, giving her 209 on the season, surpassing the previous record of 205 set by Tina Costello back in 1985-86.
- Birmelin also recorded her 100th steal on the year, giving her two straight seasons with 100+ steals.
- Freshman Samantha Shinkus added 12 points and swiped six steals.
- Senior Bridget Walsh also reached double figures with 10 points and six boards.
For the Foes
- Brianna Turner finished with 14 points as the lone double digit scorer for the Hornets.
Inside the Box Score
- DeSales forced 29 Shenandoah turnovers, leading to 28 points as DSU had a 28-5 advantage in points off turnovers.
- The Bulldogs also held a 31-4 edge in fast break points.
- DSU committed just 12 turnovers itself and won the battle of the boards, out-rebounding the Hornets, 37-33.
- SU shot very well from the field, hitting 46.3 percent.
- The Bulldogs will host Middlebury College in the NCAA Tournament Second Round, after the Panthers earned a 62-54 win over John Carroll University also on Friday evening. Tip time is set for 7:00 pm and the winner will advance into the Sweet 16 next weekend at a site to be announced.