BUFFALO, N.Y.— Liv LeBaron (Corning/Corning East) matched her career-high with 37 points, while Katie Villarini (Hamburg/Hamburg) finished with 11 assists and 13 rebounds, as Buffalo State used a 29-9 run in the third quarter to shoot past visiting Plattsburgh in SUNYAC action this afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 68, Plattsburgh - 56
LOCATION: Sports Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (11-10/5-9), Plattsburgh (8-13/5-9)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LeBaron shot 13 of 23 from the floor and 5 of 9 from behind the 3-point line to go along with nine rebounds.
- Villarini set career-highs in both assists and rebounds while chipping in six points.
- Princella McCullough (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) added nine points and 10 rebounds, while Jenna Faulkner (Lockport/Starpoint) tallied nine points and six rebounds.
- Buffalo State survived an early 11-0 run by the Cardinals to open the game, by scoring the last five points of the frame to trim the deficit to 18-17 after 10 minutes of action.
- Plattsburgh maintained its slim margin for the majority of the second stanza and converted a late layup to take a 30-23 halftime lead.
- Buffalo State used a 29-9 run throughout the third stanza to take a 52-39 lead into the final intermission. LeBaron led the Bengals during the span with 17 points while McCullough netted five points.
- Plattsburgh used a final run in the fourth quarter to trim the lead to 58-51 but Buffalo State closed the contest by scoring 10 of the final 15 point to claim the win.
- The Bengals outscored the Cardinals 20-4 on second-chance points and 9-4 in fast-break points.
- Buffalo State held a 60-39 rebounds advantage, including 22-12 in offensive rebounding.
FOR THE FOES
- Taylor Durnin and Ly'rell Walker led the Cardinals with 13 points and three rebounds each.
- Bella DePasquale added nine points and 10 rebounds.
Buffalo State will look to spring the upset as it hosts No. 15 Geneseo on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.