CORTLAND, N.Y.— Princella McCullough (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) tallied her 20th career double-double while Liv LeBaron (Corning/Corning East) nearly completed her first triple-double but it was not enough as Cortland forced 18 Buffalo State turnovers en route to a 66-52 victory in SUNYAC play this evening.
FINAL SCORE: Cortland - 66, Buffalo State - 52
LOCATION: Whitney T. Corey Gymnasium – Cortland, N.Y.
RECORDS: Cortland (8-9/4-6), Buffalo State (8-9/2-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- McCullough finished with a game-high 20 points to go along with 15 rebounds.
- LeBaron tallied 12 points, eight rebounds and tied a career-high with seven assists in the contest.
- Grace Licata (Williamsville/Williamsville South) added eight points on 2 of 5 shooting from the 3-point line.
- Both teams traded points for much of the first quarter until an offensive rebound and a put back layup by McCullough gave Buffalo State a 15-13 edge after 10 minutes of action.
- Cortland responded with a 15-6 run in the second frame to take a 28-21 lead into the intermission, as both teams were held scoreless for the final 2:30 of the half.
- Buffalo State opened the second half on an 8-0 run to reclaim the 29-28 lead on a 3-pointer by Jenna Faulkner (Lockport/Starpoint) with 7:15 left in the third stanza.
- After a layup by McCullough extended the lead to 31-28 on the next possession, the Red Dragons used a 23-4 run over the final six minutes of the third quarter and the opening minutes of the fourth frame to push the lead to 51-35 with just over eight minutes left to play in the contest.
- The Bengals rallied over the next four minutes by using an 13-3 run to trim the deficit to 54-48 with 4:32 left.
- Cortland scored on its next two possession to push its advantage back to 59-49 before a 3-pointer from Licata cut the lead to 59-52 with 1:48 remaining.
- The Red Dragons closed the game on a 7-0 run while holding the Bengals scoreless on its final four possessions to complete the win.
- Buffalo State held a 34-14 advantage in points in the paint but could not overcome a 21-2 disadvantage in bench production.
- Cortland finished 12 of 37 from behind the 3-point line and 14 of 22 from the charity stripe.
FOR THE FOES
- Kristy Vitucci paced the Red Dragons with 19 points and six rebounds.
- Tanna Mohammed chipped in 12 points while Justine Crespo added 11 points and eight rebounds
Buffalo State will play Oswego in another SUNYAC contest tomorrow at 2 p.m.