BROCKPORT, N.Y.—Brockport held visiting Buffalo State scoreless for the final 2:40 of the fourth quarter and scored the game's final nine points to erase a late four-point deficit to clinch an 81-76 victory tonight in a key SUNYAC matchup.
FINAL SCORE: Brockport – 81, Buffalo State - 76
LOCATION: Jim and John Vlogianitis Gymnasium - Brockport, N.Y.
RECORDS: Brockport (6-9/4-4), Buffalo State (8-8/2-7)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Liv LeBaron (Corning/Corning East) paced Buffalo State with 26 points while adding seven assists and eight rebounds.
- Katie Villarini (Hamburg/Hamburg) scored 17 points to go with seven rebounds and three assists.
- Princella McCullough (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) added 15 points, 15 rebounds and four steals, Jenna Faulkner (Lockport/Starpoint) netted nine points.
- After a back-and-forth first half, the Bengals hit a pair of late 3-pointers to take a 41-34 lead into the intermission.
- Buffalo State pushed the lead to 10 in the third quarter, but the Golden Eagles responded with a 10-0 run to even the score at 56-56.
- The Bengals immediately reclaimed the lead on a Villarini 3, but the lead changed hands several times in the fourth quarter.
- McCullough hit a layup for the Bengals with 2:40 remaining to push the Bengals advantage to 76-72, but Buffalo State would not score again the rest of the way.
- Brockport took the lead converting a pair of old-fashioned 3-point plays, the second coming with 27 seconds remaining.
- Buffalo State missed shots on its next two possessions and Brockport hit 3 of 4 at the free throw line to seal the win.
- Buffalo State outscored the Golden Eagles 42-28 in the paint, but Brockport had a 49-41 rebounding advantage.
- The Bengals protected the ball committing just nine turnovers, compared to 17 by Brockport.
- The Golden Eagles won the game from long range, outscoring Buffalo State 36-21 from beyond the arc. Brockport also had a 21-4 advantage in bench points.
FOR THE FOES
- Bailey Pratt led Brockport with 18 points.
- Emily Nestler added 14 points to go with 10 rebounds.
Buffalo State will next travel to Cortland on Friday for a 5:30 p.m. tip.