BUFFALO, N.Y.—New Paltz hit a season-best 17 3-pointers to shoot past host Buffalo State, 98-73, in a SUNYAC contest this afternoon at the Sports Arena.
FINAL SCORE: New Paltz – 98, Buffalo State - 73
LOCATION: Sports Arena - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: New Paltz (12-4/8-1), Buffalo State (8-7/2-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Five Bengals finished scoring in double figures, led by Grace Licata (Williamsville/Williamsville South) who netted 16 points.
- Liv LeBaron (Corning/Corning East) scored 15 points to go with three steals, and Katie Villarini (Hamburg/Hamburg) added 12 points and seven assists.
- Princella McCullough (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) tallied 11 points and eight rebounds, and Jenna Lee (Wallkill/Wallkill) scored a season-best 10 points.
- Both teams opened the game shooting well from the field with New Paltz claiming a 24-19 edge through the opening quarter.
- The Hawks never trailed the rest of the way, using a 13-4 run to close the first half to lead 40-29 at the intermission.
- Buffalo State cut the margin to seven on two occasions in the third quarter, but the Hawks continued to pull away for the victory.
- New Paltz shot 52 percent from the field for the game and 57 percent (17 of 30) from beyond the arc.
- Buffalo State shot just 37 percent and was 7 of 19 from long range.
FOR THE FOES
- Rachel Simon led New Paltz with 30 points, hitting 8 of 10 from 3-point range.
- Lindsay Bettke added 23 points, while Paige Niemeyer and Marion Dietz scored 15 points apiece.
- New Paltz's 98 points are the most by a Buffalo State opponent since Oswego scored 101 in February, 2007.
Buffalo State will look to get back on track on Tuesday at Brockport at 5:30 p.m.