BUFFALO, N.Y.— Buffalo State outscored the Red Dragons 16-7 in the fourth quarter but it was not enough as Oneonta handed the Bengals a 56-43 defeat in this afternoon's SUNYAC action in the Sports Arena.
FINAL SCORE: Oneonta – 56, Buffalo State – 43
LOCATION: Sports Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Oneonta (13-2, 7-1 SUNYAC), Buffalo State (8-6, 2-5 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Princella McCullough (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) led the Bengals in scoring with nine points to go along with seven rebounds.
- Liv LeBaron (Corning/Corning East) filled up the stat sheet with seven points, six assists, five steals and four rebounds.
- Katie Villarini (Hamburg/Hamburg) added eight points, seven rebounds and five steals.
- Both teams matched each other point-for-point in the first quarter until a late 9-1 run by the Red Dragons pushed their lead to 16-8 at the first intermission.
- The offensive struggle continued during the second stanza as each team shot under 35 percent for much of the first half as Oneonta scored four of the final six points to take a 27-17 halftime lead.
- The Red Dragons finished with a 22-10 run throughout the span of the third quarter to take a 49-27 lead at the final intermission.
- Buffalo State chipped away at the lead until back-to-back fast break layups from Anasah DeMember (Elmira/Elmira) trimmed the lead to 50-40 with just over four minutes left.
- Oneonta tallied timely baskets down the stretch to escape with the win.
- Buffalo State could not overcome 29 turnover as the Red Dragons held a 27-17 advantage in points off of turnovers.
FOR THE FOES
- Leanne Corso led the Red Dragons with 16 point and eight rebounds.
- Olivia Allrich added eight points while Madeline Frank chipped in six points and seven rebounds.
Buffalo State hosts New Paltz in another SUNYAC contest tomorrow at 12 p.m.