BUFFALO, N.Y.— Buffalo State outscored the Golden Eagles 15-4 in the fourth quarter to rally from a 14-point deficit but could not complete the full comeback as a final shot at the buzzer by Liv LeBaron (Corning/Corning East) fell short in a 46-45 loss to visiting Brockport in SUNYAC action this evening.
FINAL SCORE: Brockport – 46, Buffalo State – 45
LOCATION: Sports Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Brockport (5-6, 3-2 SUNYAC), Buffalo State (8-3, 2-2 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Princella McCullough (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) tallied her 16th career double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds to go along with five blocks and two steals.
- LeBaron chipped in 15 points including eight points in the fourth quarter. She chipped in five rebounds and four assists.
- Katie Villarini (Hamburg/Hamburg) added nine points and five assists
- Buffalo State scored six of the first eight points in the contest to take an early lead but couldn't maintain the early momentum as Brockport tallied a late 3-pointer to take a 20-18 lead after 10 minutes of action.
- After the Golden Eagles extended their lead to 33-21 with just over two minutes to play in the second frame, the Bengals closed the half by scoring five unanswered points to cut the deficit to 33-26 at halftime.
- Buffalo State again found themselves down by double-digits late in the third period as Brockport used a 9-4 run in the frame to push the scare score after 30 minutes of action to 42-30.
- The Bengals chipped away at the lead over the span of the fourth quarter, outscoring their opponents 15-4, to trim the lead to 46-43 with just over a minute and a half left.
- A pair of Golden Eagles' turnovers and two free throws by LeBaron cut the deficit to 46-45 in the final minute.
- LeBaron had a final look at a basket in the closing minutes but the shot fell just short as Brockport escaped with the win.
- The Golden Eagles held a 24-0 advantage in bench production, while the Bengals outscored Brockport 12-0 on the fast break
FOR THE FOES
- Kylee Rosbrook led the Golden Eagles with 18 points and eight rebounds off the bench
- Emily Nestler added eight points and six rebounds.
Buffalo State travels to the North Country for a SUNYAC clash with Potsdam on Friday at 5:30 p.m.