(RICHARDSON, Texas) – Thomas More University senior guard Madison Temple (Cincinnati, Ohio/Anderson) scored a career-high 35 points and led the second-ranked Saints to a, 78-75, come-from-behind win over 23rd-ranked University of Texas at Dallas today (Saturday, January 5, 2019) at the UTD Activity Center. The Saints improve to 21-0 and the Comets fall to 9-4.
- Thomas More led 18-12 after one quarter.
- Junior forward Emily Schultz (Melbourne, Ky./Bishop Brossart) made a lay-up with 9:51 to play in the second quarter to give the Saints a 20-12 lead.
- The Comets closed out the second quarter on a 30-18 run to take a 42-38 lead at halftime.
- Thomas More shot 51.8 percent (14-of-27) in the opening half.
- Temple led the team with 15 points and four rebounds.
- Senior forward Shelby Rupp (Milan, Ind./Batesville) added 10 points and seven rebounds.
- UT-Dallas scored the first five points of the third quarter to take its biggest lead of the game at 47-38 with 8:48 to play in the third quarter.
- Thomas More answered and closed out the quarter on a 21-12 run to tie the game at 59-59 after three quarters.
- The Comets took their biggest lead of the fourth quarter when they made jumper to lead 74-70 with 1:07 to play in the game.
- Undaunted, the Saints put together a 5-0 run to take a 75-74 lead when Rupp made a lay-up with 12-seconds to play in the game.
- The teams exchanged free-throws and then sophomore guard Briana McNutt (Maysville, Ky./Mason County) knocked down two free-throws with four-seconds to play and the Comets three-pointer at the buzzer was off the mark and Thomas More claimed the 78-75 victory.
- Temple had 20 points and six rebounds in the second half.
- Rupp finished with 10 points and five rebounds in the half.
- Thomas More shot 47.1 percent (24-of-51) from the field in the game.
- The Saints' defense held UT-Dallas to 39.7 percent (24-of-68) shooting, including 16.0 percent (four-of-25) from behind the three-point arc.
- Temple recorded a double-double with her 35 points and 10 rebounds, while adding three assists and four steals.
- Rupp also recorded a double-double with 20 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks.
- First-year guard Asyah Mitchell (Kenton County, Ky./Cooper) had 10 points and two steals.
- Thomas More will remain in the Lone Star State and will play 12th-ranked Mary Hardin-Baylor University on Monday (January 7) at 8 p.m. Eastern/7 p.m. Central in Belton, Texas.