DANBURY, Conn. – Despite three Pioneers registering double-digit scoring outputs, the William Paterson women's basketball team (5-7) dropped a 70-60 decision to SUNY-Oneonta (8-1) Dec. 29 in the opening round of the Western Connecticut State Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior CeCe Green (Boonton, N.J./Boonton) scored five quick points as the Pioneers raced out to an early 11-3 advantage in the first quarter. After Oneonta tied the score at 14-14, the Pioneers went on an 8-2 run to close out the period. A pair of Julie Rovito(Ridgefield Park, N.J./Ridgefield Park) three-pointers kept the Pioneers ahead by six (28-22) midway through the second, but the Red Dragons would score 11 of the game's next 13 points to take a 33-31 lead at intermission.
- Oneonta dominated the third period, outscoring the WP 22-11, en route to a 55-42 lead after 30 minutes. William Paterson would trim the deficit to six points (65-59) at the 1:39 mark of the fourth but would get no closer as the Red Dragons took the game 70-60.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Alisa Giordano (Wood-Ridge, N.J./Wood-Ridge) led all players with a season-high 22 points, while Green and Carolyn Hill (Martinsburg, W.Va./Spring Mills) chipped in 15 and 10 points, respectively.
- Vianca Soriano (New Milford, N.J./New Milford) pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds and Hill added seven boards and a block.
- WP battles Bridgewater State in the consolation game of the Western Connecticut State Tournament on Sunday, Dec. 30, at 2:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: