GRANTHAM, Pa. - The Hood College women's basketball team trailed No. 10 Messiah by just four points with three minutes to go in the game before the Falcons pulled away for a 61-47 win over the Blazers in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action.
Inside the Box Score
- While Hood did not have anyone score in double figures, five players scored between six and nine points.
- Rian Wright hit 3 of 5 from 3-point range to tie classmate Zara Whitfield for team-high honors with nine points. Whitfield hit 4 of 7 field goals.
- Mia Savoy grabbed a career-high 13 rebounds.
- Tamiya Ford blocked two shots.
How it Happened
- Whitfield scored with 3:05 left in the game to pull the Blazers within 51-47. Messiah answered right back with a layup by Alecia Rohrer, who scored six straight points during a game-closing 10-0 run.
- Earlier in the fourth quarter, Maggie Tien hit a pair of free throws for a three-point deficit with 8:45 remaining, 41-38. The Falcons appeared to pull away and built an 11-point edge, 49-38, with 5:36 to go. Mia Savoy set up a 9-2 run over the next two and a half minutes with her only 3-pointer of the evening.
- The Falcons led 21-12 in the first half before Hood went on an 11-4 run and trimmed the lead to 25-23 on a steal and a layup by Deaja Colden with 2:41 left in the half. Messiah then closed the half with a 9-2 run and led 34-25 at the break.
- Rohrer scored 24 points on 11 of 19 shooting but Hood limited the rest of the Falcons to just 14 of 48 shooting (29 percent). Rohrer added 14 rebounds, two blocks and three steals. Maci Thornton finished with 16 points.
- Hood outrebounded Messiah 44-40 and the Blazer reserves outscored their counterparts 15-14.
Hood looks to get back in the win column against Widener on December 8 at 1 p.m.