FREDONIA, N.Y.— Liv LeBaron (Corning/Corning East) matched career-highs with 37 points and 13 rebounds as Buffalo State trimmed a 13-point fourth-quarter deficit down to two, using a 17-6 run, but could not complete the comeback as Fredonia claimed an 80-76 victory to open SUNYAC play.
FINAL SCORE: Fredonia – 80, Buffalo State – 76
LOCATION: Dods Hall – Fredonia, N.Y.
RECORDS: Fredonia (2-3, 1-0 SUNYAC), Buffalo State (5-2, 0-1 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LeBaron finished 12 of 25 from the floor and 9-10 from the free-throw line.
- Princella McCullough (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) chipped in 16 points, eight rebounds and three blocks.
- Katie Villarini (Hamburg/Hamburg) added 10 points while Jenna Faulkner (Lockport/Starpoint) tallied five points, eight rebounds and an assist.
- Buffalo State raced out to an early 8-0 lead but could not overcome four early turnovers as Fredonia took a 22-20 lead after 10 minutes of action.
- The Bengals reclaimed a 29-27 lead on a pair of LeBaron free throws used the momentum to outscore the Blue Devils 21-18 in the second stanza to claim a 41-40 lead at halftime.
- Fredonia closed the third period on a 19-7 run to take a 64-56 lead at the final intermission.
- After the Blue Devils took a 72-59 lead with 5:55 left in the contest, Buffalo State responded with a 17-6 run fueled by 12 points from LeBaron and five points combined from Grace Licata (Williamsville/Williamsville South) and Faulkner to cut the lead to 78-76.
- Fredonia tallied a pair of free throws in the final 14 seconds of the contest to earn the 80-76 victory.
- Buffalo State shot 37 percent from the floor while holding a 13-11 advantage in second chance points.
- The Blue Devils forced 21 Bengal turnovers en route to a 23-9 advantage in points off turnovers.
FOR THE FOES
- Einink led the Blue Devils with 20 points and finished 5 of 11 from the 3-point line.
- Rae White added 16 points and five steals, while Anna Chiacchia chipped in 14 points and seven rebounds.
- With the victory, Fredonia earns a point in the season-long "Battle by the Lake" competition between the two schools.
Buffalo State will return to the Sports Arena next Friday as it hosts Oswego in another SUNYAC contest starting at 5:30 p.m.