(CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky.) – The fifth-ranked Thomas More women's basketball team set five Julie Costello Memorial Classic records today (Saturday, November 24, 2018) as it defeated Maryville (Tenn.) College, 106-44, on the first day of the 17th Annual Julie Costello Memorial Classic – presented by Barleycorn's at the Connor Convocation Center in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.
- Leading 3-2 with 8:28 to play in the opening quarter, the Saints closed out the quarter on a 27-2 run to build a 30-4 lead after one quarter.
- Thomas More shot 62.5 percent (10-of-16) from the field, while holding Maryville to 14.3 percent shooting (two-of-14).
- Junior forward Emily Schultz (Melbourne, Ky./Bishop Brossart) led the team in scoring with eight points in the quarter.
- Thomas More out-scored the Scots 27-10 in the second quarter to extend the lead to 57-14 at halftime.
- Senior guard Madison Temple (Cincinnati, Ohio/Anderson) led the team in scoring in the quarter with nine points.
- The Saints shot 64.7 percent from the field (11-of-17) in the second stanza.
- The Saints connected on 12-of-16 shots from field in the third quarter for a 75 percent shooting, including 80 percent from behind the three-point arc (four-of-five).
- Temple led the team in scoring with nine points in the quarter.
- Thomas More out-scored the Scots 32-10 in the quarter to lead 89-24 after three quarters.
- Maryville had a 20-17 advantage in fourth quarter scoring, but the Saints cruised to the 106-44 win.
- Thomas More improves to 5-0.
- The Saints set the Julie Costello Memorial Classic record for points in a game (106), most points in a half (57), margin of victory (65), field goals made (38), best field goal percentage (59.4).
- Thomas More out-scored Maryville 55-16 in the paint, 33-8 off turnovers and 17-6 on fast breaks.
- Schultz was named the Jimmy John's Player of the Game as she just missed a double-double with 14 points and nine rebounds in 13 minutes of action.
- Temple led all scorers with 23 points and pulled down eight rebounds, while dishing out seven assists and recording three steals.
- Junior guard Kaela Saner (Florence, Ky./Boone County) and first-year guard Asyah Mitchell (Kenton County, Ky./Cooper) each scored 13 points.
- Senior forward Shelby Rupp (Milan, Ind./Batesville) pulled down seven rebounds and blocked two shots.
- Thomas More will close out the Julie Costello Memorial Classic – presented by Barleycorn's tomorrow when it will take on La Roche College.
- Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m.