BUFFALO, N.Y.— Liv LeBaron (Corning/Corning East) recorded her third double-double of the season, finishing with 28 points and 12 rebounds, as Buffalo State closed the game on a 15-2 run to complete the 77-71 comeback victory over St. John Fisher in non-conference action this evening.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 77, St. John Fisher – 71
LOCATION: Sports Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (4-1), St. John Fisher (3-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LeBaron led the Bengals in scoring and chipped in five assists and five steals.
- Princella McCullough (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) finished with 15 points and eight rebounds.
- Katie Villarini (Hamburg/Hamburg) chipped in 12 points and six rebounds, while Grace Licata (Williamsville/Williamsville South) added 12 points on four 3-pointers.
- Buffalo State and St. John Fisher matched each other point-for-point in the opening minutes until a late 6-0 run gave the Cardinals an 18-9 lead at the first intermission.
- The Bengals chipped away at the deficit until a 3-pointer from Licata and a layup from LeBaron to cut the lead to 31-24 at halftime.
- After St. John Fisher extended its lead back to 35-24 within the first two minutes of the second stanza, Buffalo State responded with an 13-0 run to retake the lead on another 3-pointer by Licata.
- The Cardinals closed the quarter with a pair of layups to regain a 55-49 lead at the final intermission.
- St. John Fisher extended its lead once again as it pushed the lead to 69-62 with 3:25 left in the contest.
- After a 30 second timeout called by head coach Marybeth Nugent, Buffalo State closed the game on a 15-2 run fueled by LeBaron's 13 points in three minutes including going 7 of 8 from the charity stripe.
- The Cardinals missed four shots and had four turnovers in the final 3:25 of action.
- The Bengals shot 45 percent from the field and held a slim 40-39 advantage in rebounds.
- St. John Fisher shot 40 percent from the floor and held an 11-2 in second chance points.
FOR THE FOES
- Leah Koonmen led the Cardinals with 19 points and eight rebounds.
- Sydney Masna chipped in 11 points and eight rebounds, while Olivia Baumann added 10 points off of the bench.
Buffalo State hosts Alfred State next Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. in its final tune-up before opening SUNYAC play next Saturday.