• Score: Johns Hopkins - 55, Gettysburg - 63
• Records: JHU: 17-10, Gettysburg: 24-2
• Location: Gettysburg, PA • Bream Gym
• The Short Story: The 2017-18 season came to an end in the semifinals of the Centennial Conference Tournament for the Johns Hopkins women's basketball team as the fourth-seeded Blue Jays fell to top-seeded Gettysburg, 55-63.
How it Happened
• The Blue Jays got out to an early 4-0 lead thanks to buckets from Rory Cole and Lillian Scott. After a score from Emma Hahner cut the JHU lead in half Sophia Way hit from beyond the arc to put JHU up 7-2. Kendra Meredith responded with a three for the Bullets, but Way hit another three to put Hopkins up five with 5:15 remaining in the first. Two free throws by Scott gave Hopkins a seven-point advantage and a three from Lexie Scholtz put the Blue Jays in front, 15-5. Gettysburg hit its next three shots from deep to pull even at 17 with 1:56 left. The Bullets took their first lead of the game at the 1:21 mark as Emily Gibbons converted her layup to make the score 19-17 with 1:21 remaining. A three from Emma Dorshimer gave Gettysburg a 22-17 lead at the end of the first quarter of play.
• Gettysburg pulled ahead 24-17 early in the second but a layup from Madison McGrath pulled JHU to within five at 8:51. Two free throws by Scott at 5:23 made the score 28-24 in favor of the Bullets, but Gettysburg scored the next seven points to pull ahead 35-26. Scott stopped the run with a layup and free throw at 1:55 to get Hopkins to within single digits. A layup by Meredith Brown put Gettysburg back up 10 as the Bullets took a 37-27 lead into halftime.
• A 7-4 run to open the third put the home team up 44-31 with 5:24 remaining. Two free throws from Scott got JHU back to within 10, but a layup from Gibbons put the Bullets up 12 with 1:25 left. Way hit a three to bring the Blue Jays to within 10, however, Gibbons responded yet again with a layup to make the score 48-36 heading into the final quarter of play.
• Scholtz opened the scoring in the fourth as the junior scored the quarters first six points to get Hopkins to within six at 48-42. Gibbons ended Scholtz's scoring streak with a layup to give Gettysburg a 50-42 lead. The Bullets went on a 6-0 run to pull ahead 56-42, but Scott ended the run with a three to make the score 56-45 with 2:53 remaining. With the score 59-45, Way hit a layup to make the score 47-59 and McGrath followed that with a three to pull Hopkins to within nine with 45 seconds left. McGrath hit another three to make the score 59-53 with 21 seconds remaining in the game. Gettysburg went a perfect 4-4 from the line in the game's remaining seconds to win the game 63-55 and advance to the championship game tomorrow night.
What it Means
• JHU is 0-3 against Gettysburg in the tournament and 40-34 all-time.
• This is the highest win total since the 2013-14 season when the team won 18 games.
• Head coach Katherine Bixby is the first coach in conference history to lead two different teams to the semifinals. She led Dickinson to the semifinals last season.
• The Blue Jays will look to build on this season success as Hopkins will return its entire lineup next season.
Inside the Box Score
• Scott, Way and McGrath all scored in double-figures for the Blue Jays. Scott led the way with 19 while Way and McGrath each scored 10.
• Scholtz grabbed a team-high 10 rebounds.