ROCHESTER, N.Y. – The Brandeis University women's basketball team used a terrific rebounding effort and two strong individual performances from juniors Maria Jackson (20 points) and Paris Hodges (15 points, 12 rebounds) to pick up their third-straight University Athletic Association road victory, 69-65, at the University of Rochester tonight. The Judges improve to 12-9 overall, 5-5 in the UAA, while the #9-ranked Yellowjackets fall to 17-4, 7-3 UAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rochester took a 14-8 lead midway through the first quarter and the hosts were still ahead, 18-12, with 1:10 to go.
- Brandeis scored the final four points of the period to get within two points after 10 minutes.
- The Judges had a huge defensive second quarter, outscoring UR 15-6 and holding the home team to just one field goal in 14 attempts (7%), to take a 31-24 lead at halftime.
- Brandeis hit 8-of-16 from the floor in the third period and extended their lead by one to at 48-40.
- The Judges led by as many as 11 points at 60-49 with 3:09 on the clock.
- Rochester got within four in the final minute thanks to a trio of three-point possessions – two traditional three-point plays and a trifecta – but the Judges made just enough free throws to keep the home team at bay and pull off the upset.
- Playing in front of a hometown crowd, junior center Maria Jackson (Rochester, N.Y./Hilton) scored a career-high 20 points, 14 in the second half.
- Jackson hit 10-of-18 from the floor while also grabbing eight rebounds.
- Classmate Paris Hodges (Southampton, N.Y./Southampton) registered her first career double-double with 15 points and a career-high 12 rebounds – five on the offensive glass.
- Hodges also tied with sophomore sister Noel with a team-high three assists.
- Junior forward Sydney Sodine (Dix Hills, N.Y./Half Hollow Hills East) added nine points and seven boards.
- Alexandra Leslie led the Yellowjackets with 19 points and six rebounds. She scored 15 points in the second half.
- Laura Deming added 13 points, while Sarah Kaminsky had a game-high four assists.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Judges dominated the boards, 54-33, against the No. 2 team in the UAA in rebound margin.
- They had an 18-9 edge on the offensive glass, converting it into an 18-10 advantage in second-chance points.
- Rochester was allowing just 54.2 points per game, lowest in the UAA. The 69 points they allowed were the second-most of the season.
- This is the fourth year in a row Brandeis and Rochester have split the season series and the second year in a row that the road team won both games.
- Brandeis will look for a fourth-straight UAA road win on Sunday at 2 p.m. when they travel to Emory University. Rochester will host NYU at the same time. The Eagles defeated NYU, 65-59, tonight.