CHICAGO -- Meghan Herrick led the Maroons with 12 points and became the school's all-time free throws leader as the second-ranked University of Chicago women's basketball team defeated Carthage College 66-45 Sunday at the Ratner Athletics Center.
- The Maroons (4-0) fell behind 11-6 before outscoring Carthage 31-5 over the final 12:22 of the first half to build a 37-16 advantage at the break.
- Chicago led by as many as 29 points in the second half. Carthage (4-1) could get no closer than 15 (60-45, 1:51 remaining).
In the Record Books
- Herrick was 8-of-11 from the foul line, giving her 298 career free throws -- the most in Chicago history. Susie Gutowski hit 297 from 2002-06.
- Joann Torres and Julie Muguira each scored 10 points for the Maroons.
- Carthage's Cailee Corcoran led all scorers with 16 points.
- Herrick grabbed a game-high seven rebounds, while Bryanne Halfhill collected four assists and four steals.
- Chicago outshot the Lady Reds 46% to 30% from the field and 41% to 27% from 3-point range.
- The Maroons scored 30 of their 66 points off 21 Carthage turnovers.
- Chicago won its 22nd consecutive regular season game overall and its 15th straight at the Ratner Center.
- The previous two games between Chicago and Carthage were decided by a total of five points (Chicago 49-46 in 2010-11, Carthage 64-62 in 2009-10).
- Chicago won its 36th straight game when leading at halftime.
- Muguira's 10 points marked her first career double-digit performance.
- The Maroons play their first road game of the season Wednesday evening at 25th-ranked Wheaton (Ill.) College. Chicago returns home Saturday to take on #13 Illinois Wesleyan University.