Second-Half Shooting Woes Sink Hawks at Mount St. Mary

More news about: Hartwick

            NEWBURGH, NY – After shooting 52% from the floor and leading by as many as eight points in the first half, the Hawks' shooting cooled off in the second as they connected on just 24% of their shots, including a 3-of-17 (18%) showing from three-point range, as host Mount St. Mary outscored them 40-27 to earn a 67-60 victory in Newburgh.
            The loss snaps Hartwick's five-game winning streak. The Hawks are now 5-2 on the season. The Knights win for the first time this season and are now 1-4.
            The Knights had no answer for Austin Haskell (Kirkwood, NY/Susquehanna Valley) in the first half as he netted 19 points. He would finish with a career-high 29 points on 12-of-20 shooting. He also grabbed nine rebounds. Kyle Bradshaw (Tinton Falls, NJ/Manasquan) ended the game with a double-double of 11 points and ten rebounds. He also had four blocks. Bobby Connors (Rockville Centre, NY/Chaminade) contributed nine points and 10 boards.
            Mount was led by Kendall Francis' 18 points. Ethan Fox added 16 points and Jameson Morton netted 10.
            Hartwick finished the game shooting 34.8% (24-for-69) from the floor. Mount shot 43.9% (25-for-57). The Hawks out-rebounded the Knights 46-37. 'Wick had 20 offensive rebounds which it converted into 20 second-chance points.
            The hosts would jump out to a 12-4 lead after only four minutes of action. An 11-0 run, with Haskell netting six, handed the Hawks the lead, 17-12, five minutes later. A Haskell three stretched the lead to eight, 22-14, and the Hawks held onto the advantage for the remainder of the first half, taking a 33-27 edge into the locker room.
            Hartwick maintained the lead early in the second half and it led by five, 39-34, with five and a half minutes elapsed. The Hawks, however, would miss their next six shots as the Knights moved ahead with a 10-0 run, 44-39. 'Wick made two of its next three shots but missed its next four as the deficit grew to 10 points, 54-44.
            Mount got it to 11 after a Morton three-pointer with 4:15 left in the contest. The Hawks trimmed the gap to seven twice at the 1:15 mark after a Bradshaw three, and again with 56 ticks to go after two Connors' free throws. A Sam Hanley (Cranston, RI/Cranston East) three-pointer with 12 seconds showing on the clock would make it a five-point game, but the Hawks would run out of time in the setback.
            Hartwick is back in action tomorrow in its final home game of the fall semester against Hamilton beginning at 7:30 p.m.

            Make sure to catch the latest news on all your favorite Hartwick Hawks teams by following @HawkTalk on Twitter, @hartwickhawks on Instagram, and by liking 'Hartwick Hawks' on Facebook.