ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) scored 17 points and dished out 10 assists, while junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) added 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, as the 7th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team handled Hampden-Sydney 91-53 in ODAC action on Wednesday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 91, Hampden-Sydney 53
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 21-2, 13-1 ODAC; H-SC 4-16, 1-12 ODAC
How It Happened
- Senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) hit a pair of three-pointers to start the scoring for the Yellow Jackets, and a jumper by Anthony capped a 13-2 start for R-MC four minutes into the contest. A trey by Bays extended the advantage to 14 at 23-9 with 11:40 left in the first half. A three-pointer by Anthony, the seventh trey of the half for the Yellow Jackets, put the home team up 31-10 with 8:00 remaining. A dunk by senior Jon Nowell (Riverdale, Ga./Blair Academy) gave R-MC its largest lead at 22 at 41-19 with just under four minutes remaining. Anthony hit a jumper just before the halftime buzzer to give the Yellow Jackets 47-25 advantage at the break. Anthony led R-MC with 14 points and four assists. The Yellow Jackets hit nine three-pointers in the first period.
- R-MC scored the first 19 points of the second half, capped by a trey by Neeley, as the Yellow Jackets led 66-25 four minutes into the second period. Senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) had six points in the run for R-MC. The Tigers would get no closer than 29, and freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) hit a pair of treys in the final minute to give the Yellow Jackets a 91-53 victory.
By The Numbers
- Anthony went 6 for 9 from the floor, hit a pair of three-pointers, and went 3 for 3 from the free throw line for his 15 points.
- Bays hit 5 of 9 shots, all from beyond the arc, for his 15 points.
- R-MC had four score in double figures. Neeley hit 4 treys as part of his 14 points, while Midulla tallied a dozen.
- The Yellow Jackets hit 32 field goals, half of them from behind the arc.
- R-MC went 11 for 14 from the free throw line for 78.6%.
- The Yellow Jackets held a 36-31 advantage on the boards. Junior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) grabbed seven to complement the 10 by Bays.
- The R-MC defense held the Tigers to 39.6% shooting from the floor (21-53) and forced 18 turnovers.
- R-MC is ranked No. 1 in the initial NCAA South Regional Rankings.
- The Yellow Jackets extended their win streak to 8.
- Anthony recorded his second double-double of the season and the fourth of his career. Bays has a pair of career double-doubles, both coming this season. The Yellow Jackets have a total of seven double-doubles this season.
- Randolph-Macon heads to Randolph on Saturday, February 9 for a 4:30 p.m. ODAC contest.