BUFFALO, N.Y.— Kay Grant (Jamaica/Thomas Jefferson) matched a career-high with 22 points and tallied a career-high 20 rebounds as Buffalo State outscored Potsdam 11-6 in the overtime period to escape with a 75-70 victory over Potsdam in SUNYAC action this afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 75, Potsdam – 70 (OT)
LOCATION: Sports Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (6-13/4-9), Potsdam (11-9/7-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Grant finished 10 of 21 from the field and 2 of 4 from the charity stripe, while finishing with a game-high seven offensive rebounds.
- Dom Grayer (Brooklyn/Bishop Loughlin) chipped in 16 points on 3 of 9 shooting from the 3-point line.
- Sheldon Adams (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) added 10 points, four rebound and four assists, while Jordan Christopher (Bronx/Mott Haven Campus) tallied nine points and eight rebounds.
- Ryniek Holloway (Corona/Bayside) finished with nine points, including six points in overtime.
- Potsdam and Buffalo State matched each other point-for-point in the opening minutes until a 17-4 run by the Bears pushed the lead to 25-14 with 9:32 left in the first half.
- The Bengals clawed back for the remainder of the first stanza until a late Potsdam jumper gave the Bears a 31-28 halftime lead.
- Potsdam kept their lead intact for the majority of the second half until back-to-back jumpers from Adams and a layup from Grant gave Buffalo State its first lead of the frame with a 59-53 lead with 5:28 left in the contest.
- The Bears slowly trimmed the lead down to 64-61 with 3:04 left and evened the score with a 3-pointer with 2:30 left. Neither teams scored in the final minutes as the game went into overtime.
- After trading points for the opening minutes of the extra session, Buffalo State found themselves up 70-68 with 1:19 left. Holloway tallied four free throws in the final minute as the Bengals survived with the win.
- Buffalo State held a 44-27 advantage in points in the paint and a 16-13 advantage in bench production.
FOR THE FOES
- Danny Delsol-Lowry finished with a game-high 28 points on 3 of 7 shooting from the 3-point line.
- Dante Langley added 14 points, while Serigne Kane chipped in a team-high 18 rebounds.
- Kay Grant's 20 rebounds are the most by a Buffalo State player since the 2003-04 season. He finished eight rebounds shy of the all-time record of 28 rebounds set by Greg Miller against Utica in the 1976-77 season.
Buffalo State is right back at it tomorrow as it hosts Plattsburgh in a SUNYAC contest at 2 p.m. in the Sports Arena.