ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) scored 19 points and dished out eight assists as the 16th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team routed Randolph 92-47 Saturday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 92, Randolph 47
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 16-2, 8-1 ODAC; Randolph 7-11, 2-7 ODAC
How It Happened
- Senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) had a three-pointer and Anthony hit a pair of treys as the Yellow Jackets went up 9-2 in the first two minutes of the contest. Back-to-back 3's by senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) pushed the R-MC advantage to 11 at 17-6 with 15:10 remaining in the first half. The Yellow Jackets led 21-12 before a layup by Williams capped a 10-0 spurt as the R-MC lead grew to 19 at 31-12 with 7:00 left. A three-point play by Anthony gave the home team a 40-18 lead with 2:30 remaining. Junior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) ended the half with a three-pointer as the Yellow Jackets took a 45-23 advantage at the break. Anthony paced R-MC with 13 points, while Midulla added 12 points and pulled down nine rebounds
- Junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) scored eight of R-MC's first 10 points of the second half as it pushed the lead to 55-25 with 18:18 left. A layup by sophomore David Funderburg (Greensboro, N.C./Northwest Guilford) with 12 minutes remaining put the home team up 73-35. A bucket by Anthony extended the lead to 41 at 77-36 with 10:20 left. Funderburg had three layups as the Yellow Jackets took a 92-46 lead with 2:05 remaining. Randolph hit a late free throw to make the final 92-47.
By The Numbers
- The Yellow Jackets had 11 of 12 players score, including three in double figures: Anthony with 19, Midulla with 14 and Funderburg with a career-high 12.
- Turner finished with 9 points, while Bays, senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) and sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) all tallied 8.
- R-MC hit 11 three-pointers, and seven different players nailed a trey.
- The Yellow Jackets had 18 assists. Anthony had eight and Woods added three.
- R-MC held a 42-32 advantage on the boards. Midulla led all players with eight and Funderburg grabbed seven.
- The Yellow Jackets committed just five turnovers, while forcing 20. R-MC recorded 12 steals, led by Anthony with four.
- R-MC held an opponent below 50 points for the first time this season. The Yellow Jackets entered the game 24th in the nation in scoring defense at 65.2 points per game. R-MC was 12th in the country in scoring margin at +17.2 prior to its 45-point victory over Randolph.
- Anthony has scored in double figures in each game this season.
- Bays has hit at least one three-pointer in each of the past 14 contests.
- Freshman Daquan Morris (Philadelphia, Pa./Hill School) scored his first collegiate points, hitting two field goals and one three-pointer for five points.
- Randolph-Macon remains at home to host Virginia Wesleyan on Wednesday, January 23 at 7 p.m. in Crenshaw Gym.