HOBOKEN, N.J. (January 5, 2019) – Senior Ryan Coffey posted his first double-double of the season with 14 points and a career-high 15 rebounds, junior Dylan Walsh went 8-for-8 from the free throw line, and the Stevens Institute of Technology men's basketball team won its seventh straight game with a 64-58 victory over Utica College Saturday afternoon in an Empire 8 Conference matchup at Canavan Arena.
Junior Michael Zignorski scored a team-high 19 points and sophomore Alec DiPietrantonio added eight points and six rebounds for the Ducks, who improved to 10-2 and a perfect 3-0 in league play. Stevens has won its first three E8 contests for the third time in the last six seasons.
Shawn Gashi recorded a game-high 21 points for Utica before fouling out late in the second half. Kimedrick Murphy added seven points and a team-high 12 rebounds for the Pioneers, who fell to 6-4 on the year and 0-2 in league play. Utica has lost three straight.
The Ducks turned in one of their strongest 20 minutes of the season, shooting 50 percent from the floor in opening a 17-point lead in the first half. Zignorski led the offense with 16 points in 17 minutes, while Coffey nearly posted his double-double (10 points, nine rebounds) over 17 first-half minutes.
Utica rallied in the second half to tie the game in the second half before a focused defensive effort held Utica without a field goal over the final 3:40 to secure the victory.
- After Utica tied the game at 56 on an Avery Coston three, Walsh rebounded his own miss and was fouled by Murphy. The Staten Island, New York native made both free throws to put the home team back in front.
Inside the Numbers
- Stevens never trailed.
- Both teams shot 35 percent from the field.
- The Ducks shot 39% from behind the arc, making seven threes on the afternoon. Stevens has made at least six threes in five of the last six games.
- Stevens outrebounded Utica 44-37. The team has won the rebounding battle in 10 out of 12 games this season.
- DiPietrantonio blocked a pair of shots.
- Senior Kevin Florio led the team with two steals. The Stamford, Connecticut native also added nine points and five boards.
- Coffey's previous rebounding career high was 14, reached twice in his freshman campaign.
- In addition to his perfect performance from the line, Walsh finished second on the team with eight rebounds.
- Stevens heads to Oneonta on Jan. 8 to take on Hartwick in an Empire 8 Conference matchup.
- The contest begins a stretch of three straight games away from Canavan Arena.
- The Ducks are 10-13 all-time against the Hawks, but have won each of the last three meetings, including a thrilling 106-104 victory in upstate New York one season ago.
- Live stats and video links are available on StevensDucks.com.
Facebook: "Like" Stevens Athletics