OSWEGO, N.Y. – Junior Brandan Gartland poured in 23 points, including 18 in the second half, to lead the undefeated Oswego State men's basketball team to a 68-50 nonconference victory over the Saints of St. Lawrence University.
- Final Score: Oswego 68, St. Lawrence 50
- Location: Max Ziel Gymnasium, Laker Hall – Oswego, N.Y.
- Records: Oswego 9-0 | St. Lawrence 5-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Oswego got off to an 11-2 start behind a pair of 3-pointers by senior Quinn Carey, a layup by Tyler Pierre, and Gartland's first trey of the night.
- After a 12-3 run by the Saints to tie it at 14-14 with nine minutes left in the half, Joe Sullivan led an 8-2 counter with a pair of layups and four points from Pierre.
- A pair of 3-pointers from Carey would help the Lakers take a 34-26 lead into the half.
- The Lakers held a slight edge in shooting (41.9%-37.0%) and both teams grabbed 18 rebounds in the first half.
- In the second half, Sullivan hit a 3-pointer and made a pair of layups while Gartland added five points to push the Laker lead out to 50-34 with just under 13 minutes remaining in the tilt.
- A 7-0 St. Lawrence run cut the lead back to single-digits, 50-41, before two from long distance from Gartland and a bucket from junior Tim Marshall pushed it back to 17 with 5:54 left in the contest.
- Oswego came into the game ranked ninth nationally in scoring defense at 61.1 points per game and will improve in that category. The team also stood at fifth in rebound margin (13.4) and won that battle, 37-34.
- Gartland was one of four Lakers to score in double figures on the night as Sullivan added 15, Carey 12 and Pierre 11. Sullivan added a game-high 10 rebounds to record his fourth double-double of the season.
- The Lakers' 9-0 start brings them to within one of the school record of 10-0 to start a season, set during the 2004-05 campaign.
Oswego heads home for the holiday break and will return for a team trip to Emory University in Atlanta, Ga. where they play the host Eagles at 4 p.m. on December 29.