ATLANTA, Ga. - Senior Montese Adams (Richmond, Va./Fuqua) recorded his second career double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds, one of five Yellow Jackets to score in double figures, as the Randolph-Macon men's basketball team won at No. 18 Emory 94-74 Sunday afternoon on Day 2 of the Emory Thanksgiving Classic, ending the Eagles' 36-game home non-conference win streak over the past six years.
Score: Randolph-Macon 94, No. 18 Emory 74
Location/Venue: Atlanta, Ga./Woodruff Center
Records: Randolph-Macon 7-0, Emory 4-1
How It Happened
- After falling behind early 4-2, the Yellow Jackets used a 27-10 run to take a 29-14 advantage eight minutes into the contest. Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) had eight points during the run. R-MC hit 12 of its first 15 field goal attempts (80%) and 5 of its first 6 three-pointers (83%).
- The Eagles narrowed the deficit to eight at 34-26 before treys by senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) and junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) pushed the lead back to 14 at 40-26 with 6:20 left in the first half. A three-pointer by junior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) with two minutes remaining gave the Yellow Jackets a 47-36 lead before Emory scored the final six points of the period as R-MC led 47-42 at intermission. The Yellow Jackets shot 60% from the floor (18-30) and 60% on three-pointers (9-15). Arnold had 10 first-half points, while freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) added eight off the bench. Adams had five points and seven rebounds, while senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg County) paced the visitors with six assists.
- Emory made it a 2-point game early in the second period, trailing 49-47. Williams had a three-pointer and a layup to spark a 25-9 run that gave R-MC a 74-56 advantage with nine minutes left in the second half. The Yellow Jackets maintained a double-digit lead the rest of the way. Adams hit a trey with 1:35 left and sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) had a layup with 45 seconds left to give R-MC its largest lead at 22 (94-72) before a pair of free throws by the Eagles made the final 94-72.
By The Numbers
- R-MC scored a season-high 94 points, putting up 47 points in each half. The Yellow Jackets shot 55% from the floor (33-60) and 46.4% on three-pointers (13-28), also season highs.
- Anthony, Williams and Robertson all scored 15 for the victors. It matched a season-high for Williams, who was did not miss a shot. He was 6 for 6 from the floor, 1 for 1 beyond the arc, and 2 for 2 on free throws.
- It was also a season-high for Robertson, who went 4 for 6 from the floor, 3 for 4 on three-pointers, and 4 for 4 from the foul line.
- Senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) added 10 points, while Turner and Bays both tallied nine points.
- Williams led R-MC with six assists, while Bays had five assists.
- Anthony grabbed eight boards and led the Yellow Jackets with four steals.
- Emory had not lost at home to a non-conference opponent since Nov. 28, 2012, a stretch of 36 games.
- R-MC has started 7-0 for the first time since the 2009-10 season, when the Yellow Jackets began 13-0.
- Randolph-Macon returns home on Wednesday, Nov. 28 for a 7 p.m. ODAC contest against Washington and Lee in Crenshaw Gym.