SALEM, Va. — The Keuka College Men's Basketball team defeated hosts Roanoke College 58-54 in the opening game of the Dick Leftwich Tip-Off Tournament on Friday night.
David Oliveras (Great Mills, Md. / Great Mills) continued his hot start to the season for Keuka College (2-0). The sophomore guard led the team with 15 points in the win. Also in double-figures was James Barnes (Rochester, N.Y / University Prep) with 11 points. Virginia native Trevor Powell (Manassas, Va. / Osbourn) led the rebounding efforts with a game-high 13 rebounds and also led Keuka with three assists.
Keuka College 58 at Roanoke College 54
The Green and Gold fell behind early, but came back to tie the game seven minutes in as James Barnes found Ryder Mansfield (Charlotte, N.C. / Charlotte United) for the layup to make it 11-11. Midway through the first, David Oliveras knocked down a three to give Keuka their first lead of the game at 16-15. Although Roanoke would tie the score three times, Keuka College would not surrender the lead in the half and led 27-25 at the break.
Roanoke rattled off eight straight points early in the second half to tie the game and then take a six-point lead, 35-29 with 17 minutes left to play. That lead would stand until the 13-minute mark where David Oliveras pulled off the rare five-point play. Oliveras made a layup and was fouled. Following the foul call, the Roanoke player was also assessed a technical foul. Oliveras made his and-one free throw as well as the pair of technical foul free throws as the Wolves took a 39-38 lead. The game would progress to the final minutes with multiple lead changes. The game was tied as 50-50 with just under seven minutes left to play. The Wolves would amp up their defense to close the game, holding Roanoke to just 2-13 from the field in the final seven minutes. James Barnes made a free throw with two seconds left to ice the game as Keuka College defeated Roanoke College 58-54.
- Friday was the first time ever that Keuka College Men's Basketball has played a game in the state of Virginia. It was also the first ever meeting between Keuka and Roanoke
- The Wolves start the season 2-0 for the first time since the 2008-09 season
- Ryder Mansfield finished with nine points and eight rebounds. The senior surpassed 100 career rebounds in just his 14th game played with the Green and Gold
- Trevor Powell tied his career-high with 13 rebounds
- The Wolves were +12 on the boards and used that to their advantage as they outscored Roanoke 11-3 in second-chance points
Up Next for Keuka College: The Green and Gold advance to the championship game of the Dick Leftwich Tip-Off Tournament on Saturday afternoon. Keuka College will face either Emory University of the College of Staten Island.