Union Rallies Past Rochester on Midcourt 3-Pointer at OT Horn

More news about: Rochester

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - Junior guard Deshon Burgess swished a three-pointer from just over midcourt as time expired to give visiting Union College a 72-69 overtime victory over the University of Rochester at the Louis Alexander Palestra Saturday afternoon.
Union broke a five-game losing streak with the dramatic shot. The Dutchmen are 2-5. Rochester slipped to 6-4 overall.
Burgess scored 25 points, had four rebounds, three assists, and three steals. William Hython had 18 points and eight rebounds for Union.
Rochester was led by Jared Seltzer who matched his career highs with 26 points and 14 rebounds. Jacob Wittig scored a career high 15 points (with four assists) and Mack Montague had 11 points.
Montague sank a three-pointer for Rochester with 2.8 seconds left in overtime to tie the score at 69-all. Union inbounded to Burgess who rushed the ball over midcourt and let fly from about 40 feet. It went through cleanly as the horn sounded.
Burgess hit three of his four three-pointers in the last 17 seconds of regulation and the overtime period. He sank a trey from the top of the key to get  Union within one, 59-58, with 17.7 seconds left.  
Rochester turned the ball over with 10 seconds left when Seltzer stepped on the baseline after he was trapped. Union inbounded to Burgess, but his layup attempt was blocked by Seltzer. Hython grabbed the rebound and was fouled going up. He made the first of two shots to tie the score. He missed the second.
In overtime, Burgess and Hython combined for nine points in the first 3:13 to put Union ahead, 68-62. Burgess made a layup, Hython sank one of two from the line, then followed with a trey. Burgess hit a trey from right wing for the six-point lead.
Seltzer made both ends of a one-and-one with 1:23 to go. With 26 seconds left, Union's Ryan Whelpley missed two free throws. Wittig hit two free throws for Rochester with 17 seconds to go. Greg King made the second of two shots for a three-point lead with 0:16 left.
Rochester moved the ball up court methodically. Montague got it to the left of the key, moved to the top of the arc behind Seltzer's screen, and tied the score at 69 with the trey.
Rochester built an 11-point lead with 5:10 left in the first half. The Yellowjackets went cold and Union closed within 29-23 at halftime. The lead grew to 15 points several times in the second half, the last at 50-35 when Wittig went coast to coast for a layup with 10 minutes left.
Burgess, Zachary Bouton, and King all hit three-pointers as part of a 19-5 run over six minutes that drew the Dutchmen within 55-54 with more than four minutes left. A pair of Wittig baskets put Rochester back up  by five with 92 seconds left. Hython made one free throw and Burgess hit his second three-pointer of the game to reduce the deficit to one point again. That set up the dizzying final seconds of regulation, and then overtime.