Boston, Mass.-Sophomore guard Jordyn Gauvin (Fall River, MA) had 15 points, 11 rebounds, five assists, one block and a steal as Rhode Island College fell, 74-55, at Emmanuel in collegiate women's basketball action on Wednesday evening.
Emmanuel 74, Rhode Island College 55
(Rhode Island College 6-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC senior guard Amber DeCristofaro (Smithfield, RI) had 10 points, while sophomore forward Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, RI) chipped in with eight points an five boards.
• Freshman guard Brooke Young (West Warwick, RI) contributed nine points and three rebounds.
•Emmanuel sophomore guard Yuleska Ramirez-Teje (South Boston, MA) led all scorers with a game-high 20 points, to go along with eight rebounds, two assists and three steals.
• EC senior guard Ryan Maynard (Bowies, MD) and sophomore guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, CT) chipped in with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
• The first quarter saw RIC take a 9-7 lead, only to have the hosts close out the frame on a 9-0 run to lead, 16-9, after 10 minutes.
• The Saints built a 16-point lead and took a 14-point, 29-15, advantage into the locker room at the half.
• RIC climbed within five points, 43-38, on a three-pointer by Young with 5:12 left in the third, but Emmanuel led by eight, 48-40, heading into the four quarter.
• The visitors would get no closer than 10 points as Emmanuel secured the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 37.9 percent (22-of-58) from the field, 29.4 percent (5-of-17) from the three-point line and 40.0 percent (6-of-15) from the free throw line.
• Emmanuel shot 45.1 percent (32-of-71) from the field, 33.3 percent (6-of-18) from the three-point line and 44.4 percent (4-of-9) from the free throw line.
• RIC outrebounded Emmanuel, 43-38, but turned the ball over 27 times, 12 more than the Saints.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East Conference play at UMass Boston on Saturday, Dec. 9 (1 p.m.).