January 21, 2012

Centre women extend streak to 12 with win over Trinity

More news about: Centre

The Centre women's basketball team jumped out to an early lead and held on for an 84-67 win over Trinity in a Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference matchup Saturday in Danville, Ky.

Junior forward Chelsea Benham (Taswell, Ind.) led all scorers with 20 points while senior point guard Maggie Prewitt (Mount Sterling, Ky.) followed up the previous night's triple double with 11 points, six rebounds and 13 assists. Four Colonels reached double figures in all as Paige Baechle (Gallatin, Tenn.) and Jane Goatley (Springfield , Ky.) came off the bench for 16 and 15 points respectively.

For the second straight night, Centre shot 50 percent or better overall and from 3-point range while holding its opponent to less than 30 percent overall and 20 percent from outside. The Colonels went 32-of-64 (50 percent) overall and 9-of-17 (52.9 percent) from outside while holding Trinity to a 21-of-74 (28.4 percent) performance overall and 3-of-20 (15 percent) from beyond the arc.

After three lead changes early on, Centre took over the game when a 3-pointer by Goatley followed by two more from Alyson Burke (Burgin, Ky.) started a 17-2 run that turned a 6-3 deficit into a 20-8 lead. Later in the half, the Colonels reached their biggest lead when a layup by Lauren Huter (Louisville, Ky.) capped a 14-2 run to go up 41-19 at the five minute mark. 

Trinity trimmed the margin to 47-36 at halftime, but would get no closer. In the second half, Centre would extend the lead back out to as many as 20 points on two occasions before arriving at the 84-67 final.

Anne Waidelich scored 17 points to lead Trinity while Murphy Burns added 13 and Hannah Coley 12. Huter went on to lead all rebounders with 12. 

With the victory, Centre extends its winning streak to 12 games, its overall record to 15-1 and its conference record to 9-0. Trinity drops to 7-10 overall with a 5-3 record in SCAC play. The Colonels travel to Texas next weekend for games at Austin on Friday and Dallas on Sunday.

comments powered by Disqus

What We're Reading