FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College men's basketball led by as many as 27 early in the second half, but needed to hold off a furious comeback bid by Wilson to win 90-83 in non-conference action.
Inside the Box Score
- Anthony Pearson turned in another solid game. The freshman led the Blazers with 18 points and six boards, knocking down all three of his three-pointers.
- Jared Ruiz added 16 points and three assists, going 4 of 6 from beyond the arc.
- Dan Wegener came off the bench to score 12 points and add six rebounds.
- Michael Riley and Mason Wang chipped in with 10 points apiece.
- The Blazers shot 12-24 (50 percent) from 3-point range and hit 53 percent of their field goal attempts in the contest.
- Hood owned the rebounding battle 48-29 and held a 14-2 edge in second chance points.
How it Happened
- The Blazers led 40-31 at halftime before opening the half with a 23-5 run. Pearson picked off a pass and went in for the fastbreak layup for a 63-36 lead with 14:20 to play in the game.
- Keion Adams hit a 3-pointer with 11:38 left that brought Hood's lead under 20, 69-50.
- A layup by Riley stretched Hood's lead back to 24 at 80-56 with 7:34 left before back-to-back 3-pointers by Rashaan Bean started the comeback efforts for the Phoenix.
- Zachary Powell cut the lead 10 and a layup by Ian Frazier made it 83-75 with 3:07 remaining.
- Kobe Butler scored to stretch it back to 10, but Ian Hess and Adams brought Wilson within 85-80 with a minute to go. After a Pearson free throw, Bean sank a 3-pointer to make it a one-score game 86-83 with 33 seconds to go.
- Butler made a free throw with 23 seconds left for a four-point lead. Hood withstood a second chance opportunity by Wilson before Wegener pulled down the board. The big man was fouled and knocked down both with 11 seconds left for an 89-83 edge. A free throw by Ruiz with 3.3 seconds to go sealed the team.
- The Phoenix were scorching in the second half from 3-point range, connecting on 11 of 18 (61 percent) in the half. Hood, who was 6 of 12 in the half from 3-point range in the half, struggled at the free throw line. The Blazers were just 12 of 22 in the half (55 percent) and ended the game only 14 of 28.
- Bean hit all six of his 3-point field goal attempts. He overcame first half foul trouble to finish with 22 points.
- Zachary Powell was 5 of 11 from downtown and matched Bean's 22 points.
- Adams came up one rebound shy of a double-double with 17 points and nine rebounds.
- Willie McDowell led all players with seven assists.
- Wilson shot 46 percent from 3-point range in the contest (18 of 39).
Hood travels to Lebanon Valley on December 9 for a 3 p.m. tip off.