Fitchburg, Mass.-Senior guard Roosevelt Shider (Meriden, CT) scored a game-high 20 points off the bench for the Rhode Island College men's basketball team in a, 73-71, setback at Fitchburg State on Thursday evening.
Fitchburg State 73, Rhode Island College 71
(Rhode Island College 2-5)
(Fitchburg State 2-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore guard CJ Donaldson (Bridgeport, CT) notched 17 points, added five rebounds and handed out five assists.
• Freshman guard Adham Floyd (Worcester, MA) narrowly missed a double-double with 13 points and nine rebounds in the loss for the Anchormen.
• Junior guard Jerrell Gomes (Providence, RI) led the way for Fitchburg State with 18 points, three rebounds and two assists.
• Junior guard Jonathan Perez (Lowell, MA) tallied 17 points, seven rebounds and seven assists, while sophomore guard Tyrell St. John (Stamford, CT) had 16 points and two boards in the win for the Falcons.
• RIC trailed, 18-17, midway through the first half before going on a 13-4 run, capped by a layup from junior center Grant Gillis (Jamestown, RI), for a 30-22 lead with 4:59 left in the first half.
• Fitchburg State responded and knotted the game, 37-37, heading into the locker room at halftime.
• The Anchormen regained the lead early in the second half and pulled ahead, 48-41, on a layup from Donaldson with 15:50 left in the contest.
• Fitchburg State then went on a 12-0 run to take a 53-48 advantage with 13:38 remaining.
• The two teams traded leads for the next six minutes with the score tied, 61-61, after a layup from Donaldson with 7:03 left.
•It was a back and forth affair down the stretch with Fitchburg State leading, 73-71, with three seconds left on the clock. The Anchormen had one last shot at the buzzer, but Floyd couldn't connect as the Falcons held on for the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 41.3 percent (26-of-63) from the field, 29.6 percent (8-of-27) from the three-point line and 57.9 percent (11-of-19) from the free throw line.
• Fitchburg State shot 41.5 percent (27-of-65) from the field, 38.1 percent (8-of-21) from the three-point line and 50.0 percent (11-of-19) from the free throw line.
•RIC outrebounded Fitchburg State by a 48-41 margin, while the Anchormen had 14 turnovers in the setback.
• RIC will host Eastern Connecticut in a Little East Conference contest at the Murray Center on Saturday, Dec. 2 (3 pm).