Warhawk Win Streak Snapped in La Crosse

More news about: UW-Whitewater

The first half saw the score tied five times. The largest lead of the first 20 minutes came at the 1:56 mark with UW-L enjoying a 37-30 advantage. The Warhawks used a three-point play by Steve Egan and two Patrick Souter free throws to pull within two, 37-35, with 1:37 remaining but the Eagles dropped in two threes in the remaining minute and change to head into intermission with a 43-37 lead.

UW-W trailed by as much as 12 in the second half, 68-56 at the 9:57 mark, but refused to fold. The Warhawks went on an 8-2 run capped by a three-point play by Quardell Young to make the score 73-67 with just under six minutes left. The Eagles responded to push the lead back into double figures. With the scoreboard reading 84-76 in favor of La Crosse, Cody Odegaard nailed a three-pointer to provide a spark. Young was fouled on a shot and made the first and missed the second of his two shots from the charity stripe. KJ Evans grabbed the rebound and was fouled making one of his two free throws to bring UW-W within three, 84-81 with 37 seconds remaining.

Forced to foul, the Warhawks sent the Eagles to the line where Trent Schmidt hit both. Evans negated the free throws with a layup with eight ticks remaining on the clock. The Warhawks fouled with six seconds left but Clint Rihn sealed the deal with two made free throws for the final score of 88-83.

Both teams were efficient from the floor with Whitewater hitting 30-65 from the field compared to La Crosse's 29-52. The three-point arc provided the difference maker in the game. The Eagles shot 63% with a season high 15 buckets from long range compared UW-W's seven. The Warhawks had a 36-28 advantage on the glass and forced five more turnovers than they committed in the game.

Eight players notched double digits including four for each team. The Warhawks were led by Evans' double-double, 19 points and 10 rebounds. Young added 18 points on 8-12 from the floor. Alex Merg dropped in 15 points and added four assists and seven boards. Eric Bryson rounded out the double figure scorers for Whitewater with 14. The Eagles were led by Calahan Skogman's 22 points and 11 rebounds.

The Warhawks will remain on the road with their next game scheduled for 7:00 in River Falls Saturday, January 25 against the Falcons. UW-River Falls is 7-10 this season and 2-6 in league play.